1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ati RadeonVE/Tv out - only getting a black and white picture

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bennifer, 20 Dec 2004.

1. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

Hiya, ive got all of my shuttle working perfectly now... apart from the TV out of this graphics card.

The card in question is a 64mb Ati RadeonVE (7000 series) which has 2xVGA ports and then a TV out port. The TV out lead is a simple yellow composite connecter. I've connected that with a normal phono lead (6m long JVC lead if anyone cares!) and then into a scart convertor. The TV is all set up properly and gets a colour picture if I use my scart convertor with my miniDV camera. However when receiving the output from the computer it only gets black and white.

So the lead, the scart convertor and the TV are all A-OK so im guessing its something funny about the graphics card configuration? Im running catalyst 04.12 Ive been through the setting there and cant see anything odd.

Only thing is im thinking is the graphics card is outputting S-Video for some reason instead of Composite ? Theres settings in the TV display bit for "s-video sharpness" and "composite sharpness" but no actual toggle between the two standards - from research this black and white only COULD be caused by the TV receiving an S-Video feed and giving black and white through the luminance-brightness feed, but lacking the colour detail channel?

Any ideas would be great as I cant really afford a new card and also dont need one as this gives all the performance I need apart from this TVout oddness!

Cheers,
    Ben.

2. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

Had a very similar issue with my shuttle and built in savage vga. Found out it was ouputting an ntsc signal and my tv couldnt hack it. Changed some options in the graphics driver and its now outputting pal and in colour :)

3. bennifer

No joy :( I set the output to 'PAL I' and it makes no difference, still black and white :eyebrow:

I was wondering if theres a way to set the output to composite through hardware as from what I can see its defaulted to S-video output and not automatically detected a composite output is needed... ?

4. djtitan

djtitan What's a Dremel?

check your overlay settings in the control pannel. They might have got messed up when you installed the drivers.

5. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

On the scart connector you are using there should be a little dip switch that says Y/C and CVBS switch it and see if that works. I'm a little confused but when you use the camera its is composite leads but on the tv out of your card you use s-vid, is my understand correct?

6. bennifer

Overlay settings are all greyed out and set to defaults... dont know what im meant to be trying to adjust there :S

My scart lead doesnt have a dipswitch, so im not sure what its set to, but again this lead works fine when attached to my DV cam. To clear things up - the dv cam has composite output and works fine with the tv.

The card itself supports both S-video and composite standards and as far as I can understand is auto sensing and sends the correct signal. In the ati control panel there are settings for "s-video sharpness" and also "composite sharpness" which again reinforces that it indeed supports both. Im wondering if there is a way to manually switch what standard the card outputs as I think it is automatically setting it to S-video rather than composite...