1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Attention, Colonial gear heads - need advice.

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 29 Nov 2012.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Guys,

Have any of you used a wired PAC SWI steering wheel interface before?

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=210&CategoryID=29

I'm thinking of getting one to replace my existing connects2 interface in Kitty (my S-type Jag) as it does not give me full functionality - it misses out the phone buttons for some reason.

Good / bad / don't touch it with a ten foot pole? Like some opinions before I go to the trouble of getting one imported to blighty.

Ta,

GOO

2. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

It's a daft suggestion, and you've probably already tried it, but it might be worth asking Jag if they know of a solution to the problem. Failing that, I'm sure there is a Jag owners forum that you could ask on the internet. They might know of a solution to what could be a well know problem, but on the other hand they might not.

It's not a lot of help, but it might be worth thinking about as it would save you the hassle of importing the above and installing it. I recently put a new stereo in Kaylee, my MG TF, which needed a DAB antenna adapter, and with the ISO cable adapter and other associated bits it was like trying to cram spaghetti through a keyhole. It's really was a pain in the (you get the picture)

Something worth thinking about though.

Hope this helps
    Enterobsidian

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Not a daft question, but Jaguar wouldn't be able to help - as it's an aftermarket stereo install, and the buttons on the wheel worked fine with the standard jag head unit. And I've posted the same question to both the UK and US jaguar owners forums.

The problem is that all the interface boxes that you can get in the UK seem to be so generic that they have a set button layout, and if you have extra functionality on your steering wheel - tough. Don't get me wrong - it works perfectly on the buttons it does know about.

This one I've linked to is an american unit, and appears to be much more up to date. It even has updated firmware to allow the later Pioneer head units with voice recognition to be triggered using a button on the wheel - and it allows you to assign which button does which function.

I just want a bit of advice / reassurance that these units are OK... I seem to remember reading some bad reviews of previous incarnations of them, but they relied on using an IR signal to the remote eye that some head units have, and it having issues in strong sunlight or missing IR codes on a random basis. These new ones plug into the remote port on the back of the head unit.