1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling attention Nexxo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by f U z ! o N, 24 Oct 2004.

1. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

is flourinert dangerous to your health? i remember reading somewhere that it was dangerous to breath in the fumes. could you clairfy this? im trying to decide between fluid xp+ and flourinert.

2. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Apparently only the fumes of flourinert are dangerous if it is above 200*C. As this isn't a problem in watercooling and it's a sealed system anyway, i'd go for it. I'd ask the manufacturers to be certain but they certainly wouldn't sell a product that was dangerous at room temperature.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Scotty's right. Fluorinert does evaporate slowly at room temperature, but the vapours created that way are not harmful to your health. Just fill up your system in a well-ventilated area (i.e. open window somewhere). Wash your hands after use to be sure, but that's it. It splashes easily, so pour it in slowly and use a funnel if necessary (splashes are harmless and leave no residue, but it is expensive stuff and you don't want to waste any!).

If you burn it, the vapours created are harmful, so don't smoke while you're filling it up, and don't have your soldering iron switched on nearby.

Because Fluorinert will evaporate slowly, it is only suitable for closed systems, so bong cooling (hollow open ventilated tube with a shower head in it, instead of a radiator) is out. In a conventional res, rad and blocks setup it is fine. Just make sure your reservoir cap is properly closed, otherwise your precious fluid will slowly evaporate over the months. This, as I said, will not harm you, but it will harm your PC and your wallet.

Fluorinert expands by about 5%-10% when warm, so don't fill your system to the very top --fill it to 90% capacity instead. Then run your PC until it hits its peak temperature, and top up levels if required. If not required, just loosen the reservoir cap briefly to let off the compressed air. Your system is now filled. :thumb:

Fluorinert is heavier than water, so if there is some water left in your system you'll find it floating oil-like on top of the Fluorinert in the res. In that case simply absorb the water droplets with some toilet paper. Because of its properties, Fluorinert does not mix with dyes. Dyes will simply form droplets and end up floating on top like oil. Forget pretty UV colours...

Fluorinert does not bead and stick to walls like water does. When you empty the bottle in your system, nothing is left behind in the bottle! It also has a much lower surface tension so if there is any leak in your system anywhere, it will find it. This does not damage your PC (of course), but does hurt your wallet if you lose too much and you have to top it up. So first time you run it, check everything for leakage thoroughly.

I've been happily using Fluorinert in my system as we speak. The pump puts it around the system at a good speed and has no problems with it --it flows really well. Idle temps of my dual AMD AthlonMP (with a Radeon 9800Pro in the circuit adding its heat) are 31 degrees C at room temperature of 17 degrees C, cooled by a BIX with a Panaflo quiet fan (68CFM). Since the K7D overreports temps by about 10 degrees C on average, actual CPU temps are closer to 20-ish C. :D

When I have installed the OS, I will put it through its paces and let you know how the temps fluctuate.

@ f U z ! o N: PM me if you have more questions. :thumb:

Last edited: 24 Oct 2004
  4. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

wow thanks for all the help nexxo :thumb: one more question. doesnt any liquid in a watercooling system evaporate over time? ive noticed that with my swiftech hydrx and distilled water combo. and compare fluid xp + to flourinert if ya dont mind

5. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Depends how well it's sealed :D

If all connections are PTFE'd and the cap of the res is sat tight then evaporation really shouldn't be a problem. A closed system will probably always leak a bit but to such a small degree as to be insignificant.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It shouldn't evaporate... :worried: If the system is hermetically closed, there is nowhere for it to evaporate. If it does, I would think your res is not completely watertight...

I can't compare Fluorinert to XP+, I'm afraid, as I have no personal experience with XP+. All I know is that it is an oil of very low viscosity, and that although it has a high electrical resistance and is safe leaking on electronic components, it will cause shorts if leaking into a high voltage environment like, say, a PSU. Heat transfer, as far as I understand, is about the same as water. I suspect that XP+, being oil based, does not evaporate rapidly, and will not mix with dyes.

Some reviews of it are on the net: Google for "fluid PX+" and you should find at least two, three reviews. :thumb:

The reason I went for Fluorinert is that it is absolutely inert (even on PSUs) and does not leave any residue after evaporation (whereas XP+ would have to be cleaned off your components). Its low surface tension makes it great for optimal heat transfer in waterblocks. It is about the same price as XP+ so I figured I might as well go with the stuff that was specifically designed for (super)computer cooling. XP+ may however be a viable alternative, but as I said, I have no personal experience with it.

Tags: