1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Audio PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tangrisser, 28 Nov 2005.

1. tangrisser

tangrisser What's a Dremel?

I happen to have an old HP computer (PIII Socket kind..)

Its size are fairly small, but still big enough to do something that I want to mod it into.

I was thinking of putting a PS One LCD or Touch Screen LCD..

and MAY BE a knob.

Here are some of my questions..

I looked at my friend's MP3 Player, which had reflective screen like a mirror
    until you booted up then showed a color LCD screen and turned black.
    Is this some sort of UV reactive acrylic or do anyone know what the heck it was?

Also any ideas for input devices other than touch screen or remote??
    (I'd prefer not to see keyboard and mouse)

This is basically a box for music listening only. Suggest me ideas!!

I plan to make a jet black plastic case like Nano
    (let's be hopeful that I don't find the same crap quality plastic.. :D )

Last edited: 28 Nov 2005
  2. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Depends on your audio player? I'm planning the same sort of thing with an old PC turning it in to a network box/music player/TV recorder/download box.

I would run winamp on the network box then get all the mp3's off my main box (i've got far to many HDDs in mine, check my sig) I would then run either remote desktop sharing which would give me access to winamp (im running multi monitors so no loss of desktop space).

My other option would be to either get an old game pad that plugs in to the gameport on your sound card and get the plugin for winamp to control the music via that, the only problem with that I could see is it being limited to basic functions ie no searching, but good for basic control (if you could find a wireless one that could be even better)

The other option, get n IR receiver etc... and use that, but yet again still limited with out a search function.

I've been looking at a touchscreen my self which would be the best option, but its the cost thats putting me off.

I will proberly go with remote desktop sharing and a gamepad mounted in the front of the case to do basic functions.

Hope its helped.

Regards
    GiGo

3. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

GiGo thats pretty much what im going to do, but with a twist. (soon to be shown)

i'll be using my old PDA as a remote control Via Bluetooth with a piece of software called iremote, it controols win amp fully with playlist editor etc and it also controls itunes as well.