1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Automatic audio channel switching?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lp rob1, 5 Jan 2012.

1. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

First up, the problem:
    I have a set of 5.1 speakers that I use when not talking to friends through Steam or during the day. I also have an Asus Vulcan headset, that I use in the reverse circumstances. By default Windows is set to 5.1 output. This causes problems when the headset is plugged in as I only hear the left and right channels, not the rear or centre. If I set the output mode to stereo, the channels get properly mixed and all is well, but it is a real hassle to get into the settings and change everything around every time.

The question:
    Is there a utility out there that can automatically switch the output mode, be that when the headset itself is plugged in or via a simple tray icon?

I did a bit of Google-ing myself (I'm not that incompetent, you know :D) and found a thing called Vista Audio Changer, but some users reported problems running it on Windows 7. I also found SoundSwitch, but it only seems to change the playback device - from what I have read.

2. Kaze3

Kaze3 What's a Dremel?

What sound card are you using and do you have the proper driver installed? Windows often uses a generic driver by default, and I find that the manufacturer specific driver has a bit more configurability which might help you with what you're after.

3. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I, err, don't use a sound card. Yet, at least. I might get one in the near future. I suppose it is Realtek HD Audio that I am looking for?

4. Kaze3

Kaze3 What's a Dremel?

What motherboard are you using? The page on the manufacturer's website should have a link to download drivers for all the onboard components.