1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding automatic laptop opening

Discussion in 'Modding' started by _crazy_crazy_, 9 Aug 2007.

1. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

ok i have a sony vaio vgn t350b laptop and i've had the strange idea of making it opening automatic .. i've been wandering if someone has an ideia of how to make it apen maybe using animatronics components .. or small actuators ..anyone has an idea ?

2. led_zeppelinzoso

led_zeppelinzoso What's a Dremel?

First off, dude, it is a very cool idea, and it could work, but it might not look the way you want it to… but in any case, here is how I would do it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wial I'm here, how is that VAIO working for you, my gf is looking at getting the same one, any feedback would be appreciated

Last edited: 10 Aug 2007
  3. _crazy_crazy_

the laptop its amazing i only use it for a little work and web browsing but its small ,light and it simply makes a very good impression lool am by the way your idea is great im trying to do a prototype right now but i have to watch my noise levels its 4 am in here and my neighbors might not like that lool later i'll but some photos on how its going

4. led_zeppelinzoso

led_zeppelinzoso What's a Dremel?

I'v got a nether idea, but I'll draw it up later. I just thought I'd let you know though

5. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Gear system powered by a homemade circuit? Can't be to hard as the top half should be lighter then bottom

6. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

hmm if it had a remote you could use the power in feature turn on you laptop and open the laptop at the same time using gears or actuators

7. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Yeah I've been wondering what to do with this 5 yr old vaio (other then destroy it with a homemade bomb)

8. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Springs, latches and a solenoid would be a better way to go rather than doing it any other way... it'll only open it but that's pretty damn good.

9. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

just get your wife or gf to open it for you... haha

10. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

hahahahhaha

11. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

lol nah just use some springs so it'll open but not close (seems it would be complicated to fit the parts in an already cramped case) and have the latch be pushed open by a piston powered by IDK a 12-gram?

12. _crazy_crazy_

i've been trying to do the ideia that led_zeppelinzoso gave me but its turning to be too heavy and to big i need to find another way or smaller components lool

13. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

that would be so sweet on my laptop!

14. timmythemonkey

timmythemonkey Monkeymodder

Could you not combine the 2 ideas? Start with 2 springs/tension devices one stronger than the other. The stronger one will be used to open the case. When you want to close it again, electronically compress that stronger spring back to its starting point, at which point the weaker one will pull the case closed again as theres nothing pushing it open.

15. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I think you will need to rework the hinges. If you can get some sort of gear on one/both of the hinges, you can directly drive the lid. But I'm not entirely sure hwta the hinges on your laptop look like and what would be the best way to modify them. I'd say find a spare set and start experimenting.

16. Upriverpaddler

Upriverpaddler What's a Dremel?

I started looking at servocity for ideas and realized I have no idea what your hinges look like. So I googled the model number you gave and got 1 hit. This post. Whats the model number on your laptop. N350B?

P.S. You will have to have your "remote", or whatever, power on the laptop before this will work if you want it to open without it being plugged in. Just a thought. I was gonna search for 5vdc servos that could be powered by USB.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2007
  17. _crazy_crazy_

ups i'm sorry i didn't realized the mistake is vgn-t350p not b lool and i've been fooling around with the ideas and it started to look very much as an "exoskeleton " lool by now i think i'm gonna put some type of cooling system and make it an briefcase

18. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

You will need some external system, but unless you can manufacture your own laptop and integrate that feature then I doubt you would really like it. If you are really set on doing it, I wouldn't mind specing one for you.

19. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

I remember seeing this system in a toy take some medium strength springs and either a ram or another system to do as follows:
    attach springs (on each side) to top of screen casing. Use any ram as long as it doesnt stay pushed in. Have a slide and fixture attach to the other end of spring this way when opened the spring releases pressure on spring and lid opens. The rams are there to reset the slide which wont close the case.
    to illustarate when rams go back slide goes back with it releasing tension and letting the lid come up and if the springs are strong enough when the rams get pushed forward taking the slide with it the lid should close. Remeber to remove the latch that keeps the case closed.
    And on building your own laptop just incorparate it all into a briefcase.