1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Back Up

Discussion in 'Software' started by Yeoo, 18 Sep 2011.

1. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Talk to me about back up.. so my friend has a new PC i have built him and he has a external hard drive that will be plugged in 24/7. as it is for SOHO use and he has allot of mission critical data for his small business. (Accounts/Music) he is a mobile DJ. Now what i would like is a master back up with incremental back ups on a weekly/Bi-weekly basis. Now the issue is when i have played with back up on my PC I'm finding i am using allot of space. is there a way to have a complete back up solution without using more disk space than is realistically required.

All on W7

Thanks

PS, he will have 2 internal hard drives will it back up system disk and the mp3 disc? if so how do i set this up.

2. splatdeath

splatdeath What's a Dremel?

win 7 ulti edition allows you to back up to external drives/network locations.

If the data he has IS that critical then the disks should be in RAID 5 (3 disks) config in his desktop, this will prevent data loss in most cases.

If he wants the belt and bracers too then you can configure windows back up to do a full back up once/twice a week of the critical data, i wouldnt worry about backing up windows itself as you can always just re-install it, just get the data he needs. I wouldnt go for a full then incrementals when using windows back up, this could cause you some headaches when trying to perform a restore of the data, just use full and delete down back ups older than a couple of weeks.

Compression (disk space saving), Windows back up doesnt offer any (if memory serves), again you need a bit of software to do that for you.

Another option is to buy a NAS box that comes with client/server back up software pre-installed which would allow you to config what/when/how you back up his data, while also managing restores for you when required.

If he really wants only 1 full back up and then incrementals forever then there is only 1 product on the market that allows for this, Tivoli Storage manager, which is very expensive for what your suggesting, all other products need (best practice for them) a once a week full back up.

If the data is that important to him i would suggest the NAS box path, gives best bang for your buck.

3. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I would recommend Acronis True Image Home. You can customise what you want to back-up for more readily than you can with any Windows back-up version, and there are numerous 'bells & whistles' that I will let you find out for yourself.

Most importantly, it has a rather neat differential back-up feature which I use: It take a full back-up (which might be just his data rather than Windows + Applications) and then it does a differential backup (a backup of anything changed since the last full back-up) for the next x times, then it will repeat the cycle - take another full back-up etc.

This means you need a full backup + the last differential in order to recover your data.

It can obviously do incremental backups (where changes since the last incremental backup are recorded) but I don't like incremental backups as much. If one file is lost/corrupted you lose everything from that point on, and should you want to restore something, it can be a pain (IMHO).

The point is, it is cheap and extremely configurable, and in four years of use, a very reliable platform.

4. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

Ever thought of an off-site backup? Look into carbonite or possibly an E3 solution with Amazon?