1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Backblaze: 2015 Q1 HDD Reliability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JamesRC, 16 Jun 2015.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea I already read that on another site and thought I'll believe it when I see it.

That's not to say I wouldn't love it to come true it's just that I've read enough predictions to know that they should be taken with a pinch of salt.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Cost parity with performance biased 2.5" SAS for sure, but SSD sitting at cost parity with capacity biased drives by the end of next year is little more than wishful thinking.

EDIT: A quick bit of googlework puts the most aggressively priced contenders of each camp out by an order of magnitude... breakthroughs are one thing, but that's a big gap to close in 18 months. Never going to happen.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2015
  3. Byron C

Byron C Over-reacting and over-analysing since 1982

Hence why I also need to work out my backup strategy, and preferably this should be something "off premises" (i.e. some kind of cloud storage is probably the most realistic for now). I want backup to be automated - I don't know how I'm going to do that yet, but that's the plan at least.

In any case I'm going to have to put my storage world domination plans on hold because, now that I have the weighty beast in my clutches, I've just realised that the Dell PowerEdge 2950 server I've bought has 2.5" drive mounts and not 3.5"; I have four spare 3.5" disks and zero 2.5"... I can't even complain to the seller because it's clearly listed in the description :).

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

To add insult to injury, you may well find that the caddies want 15mm enterprise 2.5" drives and not 7-9mm consumer 2.5" drives. There's supposed to be some semblance of compatibility for the latter in slots for the former, but make sure you've double checked before you go buying anything.

4x 1.8TB SAS drives in there would make for one hell of a home fileserver though :lol:

5. Byron C

Byron C Over-reacting and over-analysing since 1982

Aye, will do, cheers. I've got my eye on some 2.5" SAS drives, so I'll make sure I check the drive & caddy heights.