1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Backlight bleed.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 17 Nov 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Someone on anther forum is selling a 34" Dell Ultrawide for an excellent price not that I am in the market, but he mentions backlight bleed and although I have Googled and even ran a test http://www.lightbleedtest.com/ I am not sure what i should be looking for exactly. So looking for some simple enlightenment?

2. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Essentially what it comes down to is the distribution of the backlight being uneven across the panel, resulting in some areas being brighter than others, usually around the edges (easily visible to the naked eye with a static black image).
    The absolute majority of monitors sold suffers from it, but like everything else it is in a spectrum (there is however a trend of it being worse on bigger monitors).
    There is no fix.
    Unless it is extremely excessive manufacturers will not consider it an issue that justifies an RMA.
    Monitors are notorious for problems with consistency in manufacturing, resulting in it pretty much being a lottery.

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Also worth mentioning that on certain panels owing to manufacturing or the way they're packaged for transit, the bezel can press tight against the panel where they meet and can also create the illusion of backlight bleed. This is certainly the case for some Asus SKUs and as the monitor settles once unboxed, this particular type of pseudo-backlight bleed should ease off. Mine certainly did.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2017