1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ballmer speaks of phone platform regrets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Sep 2013.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Same here. I really don't mind that there are fewer apps as I have realised that I hardly need any and the ones that I do need are already on WP8.

Enjoying the wireless charging? :D

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Haven't bought a wireless charging pad yet, but planning to.

Just updated my old iPhone 4 to iOS7, just to see what all the fuss is about. It's an improvement but I'm not won back over. The GUI is obviously designed for the taller screen of the 5 series; after my Lumia 920 it feels cramped and crowded. It also feels that like Android, it is ripping some GUI from Windows Phone. But then, everybody is these days.

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

It is definitely worth buying one, it means that I hardly ever have a flat battery as you can just put your phone down to charge it.

I also have iOS7 on my iPhone 4 and I agree with you.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

The wireless pads are a stroke of genius. I have one by the bedside and one on my desk but because of the good battery life I hardly ever use the one on my desk. Have you seen the mod someone made of the wireless charger in the bedside cabinet? You just leave the phone in the set area of the surface top to charge. A bit OTT but genius ;)

5. Snips

6. Nexxo

Yeah, that's pretty cheesecake. I'm actually thinking that I should incorporate one in a computer case. Put your mobile on top, let it talk to the PC via Bluetooth or WiFi, while it charges at the same time.

7. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Every pre-WP8 phone is stuck on 7.8 forever and incompatible with WP8 and most of the new apps and games. This might be normal for my Gen. 1 device but phones which came out only months before WP8 are also incompatible such as the Nokia Luma 900 and 800. This was despite Microsoft's promise to keep their phones updated together and their reasoning for completely scrapping all Windows Mobile code to start over. Yet they scrapped it all again to start over for WP8. Even worse may be the apps and games that are incompatible with WP8 despite promises that this would not be the case.

Then there's all the missed opportunities amongst the Microsoft divisions and missteps along the way. I'll give you one example which paints a picture of how things have progressed at Windows Phone in the last 3 years.

It wasn't untill the 7.5 Mango update (late Oct.2012) about 2 years after the phones launch that they were finally able to integrate MSN messenger into the phone. At the time of launch this was a much requested feature. Previously users were directed to using a sub par 3rd party app which was not able to properly run in the background as is needed for messaging. Like every other 3rd party app it was unable to use the proper phone APIs.

Some months later MSN Messenger is scrapped all together as Skype is announced to take over and to be integrated for WP8 phones, with the mostly useless MSN messenger remaining on 7.8 phones.

My biggest issue definitely has to be how other Microsoft divisions seem to not care to support the Windows Phone division. Xbox game integration was a huge missed opportunity with no real IP support and only a push to get popular iOS games initially and then Nokia had to sign a deal with EA themselves to bring some real games over and dodge the much maligned xbox validation process which keeps most games from being updated for months.

When other Microsoft software was being released such as Glass and some other projects they were released on Android and iOS first and usually to better success then the later WP implementations.

Like I said I love using the interface and do have many good things to say about the WP platform in general but after 3 years with the ways things have moved at a seemingly snail's pace and the lack of cohesion amongst the Microsoft divisions I don't have much optimism for the future of Windows Phone.

8. Nexxo

Microsoft divisions historically haven't cared for each other. Blame the stacked ranking system. The reorganisation is meant to address that. Terry Meyerson created WP7 almost despite Ballmer and he is now in charge of all operating systems. Expect a lot tighter integration of them in the future. Myerson has a reputation for being belligerent, but he also has strong vision and gets things done. Of all people at Microsoft, he may be most like Steve Jobs.

WP7 phones not being upgradeable to WP8 is a non-issue. Most people upgrade their phone every 2 years. IPhone 4 (launched June 2010) barely runs iOS7 (it does, but rather slowly and many of its USP features don't work). And how many Android devices can meaningfully run Android 4? The HTC Desire (launched 2010) cannot handle Ice Cream Sandwich, launched 2011.

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Pretty sure MS never promised that Windows Phone 7 handsets would be upgradeable to WP8. It was always the case that WP7 was an interim step between Windows Mobile and an OS based on the same kernel as the rest of Windows. I'm also pretty sure the Mango update was announced less than 6 months after WP7 was launched and released within 12 months of the launch. It was then a year later that MS announced it's plans to merge Live Messenger with Skype in 2013.

10. Snips

I think the Lumia 900 launch and then WP8 announcement were somehow connected and most thought it would be upgradeable. I'm sure it was let out that it would be upgraded and then the 7.8 announcement confirmed it wouldn't be getting WP8. My son has a 900 and I have a 925, the differences in OS aren't really that massive.

11. Nexxo

By the way: Microsoft's Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 launch event is all over the internet.

It's looking good for the Pro 2: 75% better battery life on the Pro 2 (7-8 hours), more than doubled compared to the original with the new Power Cover, combined with better performance (10 hours?). Wider range of choice in memory and storage (for a price).

Surface Pro/Pro 2 dock. Nice.

Surface 2 is thinner, lighter, faster, and comes in a snazzy magnesium grey.

Meanwhile: thinner Type Cover and Touch Cover, with backlight (compatible with original Surface models)! A few new, nice colours. Touch Cover sensors have gone from 80 to over 1000 to make for more precise and forgiving typing.

Also a small rod-like device that magnetically attaches to these covers so they can be used as wireless keyboards. Nice touch.

Another nice touch: a Touch Cover specially for mixing music, garage band style. Could open a market for more custom input covers.

It all starts to feel like Microsoft is hitting its stride in terms of developing the possibilities of these devices.

12. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

I've heard the same thing. The company I used to work for used Windows on our colleague mobile phones and the newer phones seemed so choice. My phone was an old piece of crap, but if I had stayed and had a chance to upgrade I would have been thrilled to check it out. They were definitely late to the game but that doesn't mean theres no room left in the market. It's just a harder road now than it might have been.

I've never understood why people are so intent on shitting on Windows phones rather than rooting them on. More diversity in the market place is only better for the consumer.