1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling BayRes Barbs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chiyau, 28 Jun 2003.

1. chiyau

chiyau What's a Dremel?

Just received my bayres and found that it has elbow barbs on it which restrict the water flow and was wondering which size straight barb to use?

will the 1/4" BSPT 1/2" barb be ok?

thanks

2. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

depends on threading but probaly yes. Considered borign out the elbows to make them less restrictive?

3. chiyau

chiyau What's a Dremel?

i guess i'll give em a try, thanks hydrogen18. modding the elbows will probably be my last option.

4. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

don't forget that if its a VoyeurMods bay-res it will have US (NPT) thread as appose to the UK standard of BSPT so if you are replacing with brass BSPT careful not to crack the plexi :waah:

might be a bit late already!

5. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

It'd be worth checking with your supplier to be sure.

Coolmiester - NPT and BSPT (& NPTF)are often interchangeable through a lot of the sizes.
    They sometimes even have the same TPI and the pitch is 55° on one and 60° on the other.
    PTFE tape can usually soak up the difference as long as you don't overtighten.

The one to try to avoid is using Taper in a Parallel, as the stress is concentrated on a couple of threads' worth of the overall thickness.

6. coolmiester

hey Pug............we agree on something :thumb:

Just thought it was worth pointing out the difference between the 2 :lol:

They do fit, just if you screw a tapered brass barb (BSPT) into a wrong size (NPT) plexi hole it will end in tears though if you over tighten it.....think i would use nylon ones to be on the safe side if you want to go down this path!

7. chiyau

chiyau What's a Dremel?

currently my bayres is leaking from the barbs using the BSTP, i applied sealant and loads of tape and yet it finds a way to get out. so i guess its back to the elbow barbs for now :/

8. coolmiester

/...........just wondering which are interchangeable????????

sure you can make them fit with a bit of pressure, especially if you are using two soft metals such as brass and aluminium but as chiyau found.......1/4" aint interchangable in plexi.

Did you get sorted chiyau as I got my hands on some straight nylon NPT if they are any use.

9. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

heh... my bayres came with straight barbs and I changed them for elbows :duh:

10. coolmiester

hey Supercool...........i'll go with that!

much easier to handle the hose with the elbow barbs as well.

I changed a Bay-Res from elbow to straights and i ran into all sorts of difficulties with routing the hose.

For the over-all drop in flow rate i don't think it is worth the hassle or it wasn't in my case anyway :( ................back to elbows now :D

11. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

I've screwed in innovatek fittings into a dtek block(bsp fittings in a npt threaded hole)..and damn was that tough:

[​IMG]

Although the same fittings screwed in just fine in a bayres (actually maybe a bit loose):

[​IMG]

12. chiyau

chiyau What's a Dremel?

hi coolmiester

i've been searching the web for 1/4" Npt barbs in the UK with no luck :/ i am planning to order them from Danger Den in the U.S, but if you have some i will be happy to buy them of you :)

13. coolmiester

Hey chiyau.................these are 1/4" NPT thread to 1/2" hose tail

/..........if they are what you are after fire me an e-mail with your address and i'll get them out to you man :thumb:

[​IMG]

14. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Well, off the top of my head - 1/2" and 3/4"?
    If my info is correct,
    1/2" (nominal diameter) BSPT has 14 TPI and a basic major diameter of 0.8250"
    1/2" (nominal diameter) NPT has 14 TPI and a basic major diameter of 0.8356"

3/4" (nominal diameter) BSPT has 14 TPI and a basic major diameter of 1.0410"
    3/4" (nominal diameter) NPT has 14 TPI and a basic major diameter of 1.0460"
    (plucked at random from Google, here)

Pretty close, you must admit... ;)

Those sizes aren't applicable in this particular case, I was just making you aware of a fact I you may have missed and as I said, he should check with his supplier.
    From your initial statement, it sounded like you meant they were never interchangeable, that's all.

I've even used either/both parallel and taper in the Airplex Classic rads with no ill-effects, but they ain't plexi/acrylic
    (nor would I really recommend using the wrong barbs in any form of acrylic without checking - we used to have a good sticky about this which I remember posting in before it was common knowledge. Dunno where it is now :confused: ).

Last edited: 13 Aug 2003
  15. coolmiester

"close enough for pit work"

/..........an old expression from up north :D

essentially what you are doing is re-tapping the thread, granted not by very much! but that is why plexi tends to crack as it can't take the strain captain :D

Be good to get the sticky up though as it is obviously still confusing quite a few people.

Anyway chiyau...............barbs on the way :thumb:

16. chiyau

chiyau What's a Dremel?

Barbs arrived today coolmiester, Thanks Again :)

17. coolmiester

good stuff chiyau........let us know how you get on!

Take a temp reading with the elbow barbs and then again with the DD straight ones see if there is any difference!

18. chiyau

chiyau What's a Dremel?

i have a inline temp probe between the outlet of the rad to the cpu so i will use that to see the temps. unfortunately i will be adding a DD GF4 Block to my setup when i drain my system so i will not be ablt to compare the temps, sorry coolmiester :/

Tags: