1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BBC iPlayer = Hogware

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 16 Aug 2007.

1. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I use to use 4od, used the program hack to play it on vista and thats when i discovered kservice. I use to end it every time i finished watching 4od. Then i tried BBC's iplayer(in virtual pc 2007) to my dissapointment, it also had kservice and after a few minutes of watching little britain, I uninstalled it.

I am not prepared to keep ending the kservice process every time I want to stop watching tv. I much prefer watching sports matches on sopcast. Although it is peer to peer program, atleast it closes when you close the program.

2. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I'm at work so I can't check now, but if I've stopped it loading at windows-start-up will that have stopped the uploads?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just hit ctrl+shift+escape and check if Kservice is running.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I dont get it. Why dont they just use windows media player or better yet a flash player. Its a proven concept: See youtube, video.google, gametrailers.com and others.

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

The answer is simple - they simply don't have, and couldn't afford, the bandwidth required to offer TV length shows at anything approaching acceptable quality, so they have to resort to p2p. Look at YouTooob - its picture quality is appalling and most of the vids are pretty short, but it still racks up a very hefty bandwidth bill.

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Well streaming should work without bottleneck. You can only watch the preview because your not with this isp. But i am, and can watch tv all day in highstream format. Most providers are linked to the internal ring of the interner exchange. So there are no cost in bandwidth. It only cost if they go from the exchange ring to other countries.

1000kbps stream preview

7. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I knew that! Just wasn't at the PC in question.
    Turns out it was running. Cheeky bums at BBC/4OD.

I don't think it would have bothered me so much if they had clearly explained how it worked from the outset.

8. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

It gets even better! See my opinions on the iPlayer Here!

9. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

That's very strange I'm going to assume it's a bug since it's in beta.

I prefer to use Foobar2000 for my music listening pleasure.

Tags: Add Tags