1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BBC Trust finally approves Freesat

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 30 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Mmmm, sexeh.

But there's no prices on the hardware yet or even estimates.

Will current free to air satellite boxes work or not?

3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

ah back when spooks was good :<

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

What an old spooks picture!

5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

So you get the benefits of high-bandwidth sattelite freeview and all the free-to-air channels?

Noice. :)

6. lanester

lanester What's a Dremel?

I dunno why DVB is so great. It's mainly to free up the airwaves for more licensing money in my opinion.

Everyone who I've spoke to says reception is poor, and i stuggle to get a good picture, at least with good old analogue, you may get a fuzzy picture and sound. But if a digital signal degrades you get a unwatchable, unlistenable mess. I only live 2miles away from the antenna

Hopefully though the satellite service could sort this current mess out.

Rant over

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I didn't realise the figure was as high as 25% of the country not being able to get a decent signal. I would have put it much lower, mainly those living in remote rural locations, such as the Scottish Highlands and islands.

I wouldn't have included Suffolk as one of those areas - if you're having trouble getting a decent signal when you're only 2 miles from the transmitter, I'd take a look at your aerial.

In related news, the BBC Trust also gave to go-ahead for an internet-based on-demand video service. License payers will be able to get programmes for free for up to 7 days after the broadcast date, non-license payers (read: Johnny Foreigner) will have to wait, and will also have to pay to watch programmes.

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Where are you in Suffolk? All my mates from there have fine signal... Norfolk/Suffolk tends to have great reception because its so flat here!

I'm more than 2miles from the broadcasting mast and I get perfect 85% strength signal. Maybe you just have a old/broken aerial?

9. lanester

Well more than likely true. I'll have to check my aerial out. I just don't see what's so great about digital that's all.

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I would bet its your aerial unless you live in a big dip or surrounded by lots of tall buildings.

The fuss:

normal tv: 5 channels (if you can count a fuzzy channel 5)
    digital tv: more than 30 channels + intereactive tv + digital radio stations

11. lanester

Still only 5 channels worth watching!

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Depends what type of programs you like... I think e4 & bbc three are great and more4 has some interesting stuff on sometimes.

Tags: Add Tags