1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best AMD Procs. for over clocking.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by G4m3R_X3r0, 8 Mar 2006.

1. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

What are they.

Ok Rdy go!

2. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Ok, for a start what you after a Dualcore or a Single core CPU ? Dual core cpus are deffinantly the way forward as it increases your over all computer experience and moe and more games are starting to support it.

The best Overclocking Dualcore processors are:
    -The Amd 3800+ X2(Dual Core), stock speed of 2.0Ghz, most of these CPU's will hit 2.6Ghz easily , with some better cooling you couild be looking at 2.7-2.9Ghz with a decnt stepping Cpu.

- Amd Opteron 165 (Dualcore) These are also known to to hit high speeds of ~2.6Ghz+ but the later batches of them have been very bad overclockers (cant even do 2.4Ghz). So your best bet would be to get one second hand from a forum or eBay.

- Amd Opter 144/146 (Single core) Deppending on the stepping these Cpus can fly, with clocks of 2.7Ghz-3Ghz+but the ~3Ghz steppings are very rarethus prices might be high.

All in all, I think I'd have to reccomend the 3800+ X2 as it is the best value for moeny and the most likely to clock well straight of the box :)

-Fr4nk

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Bare in mind, your more likely to have a better clocking single core than a dual core.
    (One core might be limited ;))

Just got hold of a CAB2E 144. :D

4. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Best proc for overclocking on a budget as mentioned above is a single core oppy or x2 3800+.

If you want to know what procs give the best final overclock then you should turn to the fx60. As it's multiplier unlocked it is possible to both raise the fsb/multiplier as needed to find the optimum setting. As a percentage the overclock may not be as good as some of the lower rated chips, but it'll end up with faster clocks and thus give best performance!

5. aix

aix What's a Dremel?

well I have the same opty
    no problem @ 2,7GHz :rock:

6. Sherk

Sherk What's a Dremel?

I've got an Opty 165 CCBWE 0551 UPMW OC'ed to 2.8 on stock voltage... it seems pretty good. :D

7. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

hehe, yeah I also have a 144 CABNE 0545, hits 2.8 ghz easily ;)

8. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

if you want really cheap and still uber fast a venice 3000 can be had for sub 80 quid and are usually good for 2.8ghz... super speed at silly money

9. Moo

Moo What's a Dremel?

I thought I was doing well to get 2.5 out of my 3200 (std 10 x 200).

Also remember that your motherboard, cooling, PSU and memory will all play their part in reaching a good overclock.

I remember reading that the 3200 has a bit better headroom than the 3000, but due to supply / demand and binning you may get a fast 3000.

OEM 3000' s are around £80
    3200's about £100
    3400's £134
    3500 SanDiego 1MB cache £145
    then the dual cores start at around £210+

I'd shortlist to the 3200 / 3500 1Mb

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

What kind of cash do you have to work with? How much money do you have to spend? What kind of cooling are you going to invest in?

11. G4m3R_X3r0

Well this is the Heatsink I was planning on getting. Money wise... I have about 200-300 US Dollors. See pretty much I just want something that I can get good performace out of as well as dependability. The only game I truly play is World of Warcraft. (I'm a WoW junkie) At the same time tho, I would like something that will be able to play today's games. More or less something better then a Socket A AMD XP 1600+ Chip. (What I have right now) So Idealy... A good Midrange gaming system... If that all makes sence in my rambling.

12. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

If you're looking for a single-core chip, I have a socket 939 3200+ Venice, default 2GHz, running at 2.8GHz without breaking a sweat with the exact heatsink and fan you're looking at getting. My limit right now is RAM, I have a feeling that the CPU could go further.

However, the future really is in dual-core. As others have said, the X2 3800+ is the best performance:money, and most clock very well.

13. G4m3R_X3r0

Yet another N00bish Question.

Ok also, When a socket 939 board description says it can take a sempron chip, does that mean it will take the sempron 754 chip type?? Or are there really 939 semprons out there??

Also In my system now i have 1 GB (2x512) Sticks of Corsair XMS Pro Memory sticks. I used to work at best buy so i got them at a good price. Now I want to move those over to my new system when i get it built. But the thing is I keep hearing mixed reviews. Oh they are awesome. Oh they are Crap! Whats the deal, which is the real story?? (Model number on those chips are CMX512-3200C2Pro)

Keep it coming guys, your feed back is greatly appreciated.

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

It means that if AMD ever decides to release 939 semprons, the board will run it. As for the memory issue, it all depends on the type of chips theyre using for that particular branch of XMS.

15. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:naughty: I have heard there are already 939 Semprons out there but they are very rare and generally kept in the Asian market where price is the key selling factor. As for o/c'ing ensure you get a decent mobo ideally capable of 300mhz HT, the RAM doesn't matter for o/c'ing it's just that faster or lower latency RAM is more optimal performance-wise.

16. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

are socket 754 semprons any good at ocing?

17. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:confused: I've heard mixed things about 754_Sempron o/c'ing but in theory they should be as good as any Athlon64 at o/c'ing and since 939's Dual Channel Memory and L2 Cache aren't hugely significant it bodes well for a super-system on the cheap. I've got a 754_Sempron here for my bro-in-law after his SktA system went belly-up. I should see what it can do by this weekend if not before. I'll let you know.