1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best CPU HSF and PCI-E Sound Card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EX3CUT1ON, 7 Aug 2008.

1. EX3CUT1ON

EX3CUT1ON What's a Dremel?

Could someone please tell me which is the best HSF for an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 taking overclocking into consideration? Could someone also tell me which is the best PCI-E sound card for gaming please? Since I was going to get the ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 but can't find it any where to buy in the UK. Price isn't a concern for either of these components, thanks.

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I'd say Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme as the HSF (doesn't come with a fan though) and try to find the Xonar somewhere, because that's what I recommend. Just my two cents :thumb:

3. EX3CUT1ON

It doesn't matter if it doesn't come with fan as I just can buy one separately. Is that any Xonar or the Xonar HDAV1.3? Thanks.

4. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

The HDAV1.3 isn't out yet, so the only choice you have at the moment is the D2 or D2X if you want a high end model. They are the same, but the D2 is a PCI model, while the D2X is a PCI-E model.

5. EX3CUT1ON

So is the Xonar D2X my best bet for a PCI-E sound card at the moment? Do you know when the Xonar HDAV1.3 comes out? Thanks.

6. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I read that it was supposed to be out in July, but I haven't seen it in any online store yet.

7. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I'd agree with the 120 is you want fairly quiet, but excellent cooling. Or a HR-01 Plus plus silent fan (in my case I have a Noctua NF-P12) if you want great cooling but be near silent. Both solutions will work well with your hardware.

I'd also second a Xonar, but unlike some other posters, I think the D2/D2X versions are probably too high-end, unless you are some sort of musician/sound recording enthusiast.

If you just want a better alternative to your average X-F (Gamer or Music), I'd recomment the cheaper (£50) Xonar DX.