1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Best Fan placement?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Squadexodus, 3 May 2008.

1. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

Alright, so heres the deal. My computer is starting to get hot. Im not quite sure what my GPU is running at, but its getting hot enough to shut down. So, as i was lucky enough to have four 80MM Aircraft Engines (Loud), I jury rigged some fans into place on the side panel of my coolermaster Centurion 5 case. One is on the perforations in front of the CPU. The other one is on the lower perforations next to the GPU. What im wondering is which way should they blow? I have the cpu one blowing out, and the gpu blowing in.

On another note, i have a Scythe 120mm fan sitting around. I finally got around to testing that thing, and is it Quiet. Pity i have nowhere to stick it.

2. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Hi,

I will try to be as help full as possible and have the following suggestions.

The first thing that springs to mind is that your computer is sick, If it's shutting down due to excessive heat then something is wrong. Even with minimal cooling modern components are capable of running stable for extended periods. Standard coolers whether for CPU or GPU whilst not great still allow for stable trouble free operation.

Did you build the computer yourself?

Reason: If not then hopefully your covered by the warranty. Contact the vendor and explain that your computer is shutting down automatically. They will then ask you to check a few things, ask some basic questions and then hopefully agree to replace a suspect faulty part

Reason: If yes then has it been working properly or is it something that's just started happening? How much experience do you have in building computers? I have to say that I think the problem is being caused by poor heatsink contact, this is something I experienced when building my first PC. I unmounted then remounted the heatsink and all was well. If you mounted the heatsink did you remember thermal paste? If not then you need to go back and apply some....google or look on the Arctic Cooling website for more info.

Adding more fans is not going to help for all of the reasons already highlighted.

Provided that you have the right quantity of thermal paste, good heat sink contact and a mimimal of airflow then your PC should work. Dont give in immediately to suggestions of water cooling, or buying new heat sinks, provided each of your components is healthy then they will only drop your temps.

Please do remember to contact your PC vendor first if you bought it pre-assembled. They will be able to quickly tell if you have done any DIY in there and may blame you for the problems.

AIRFLOW:

There are many different configurations however the basic's are font case is intake. most fans have arrows indicating the airflow direction. Rear of case on motherboard tray is the exhaust. Many cases also place blow holes as a secondary exhaust to expel the dead air which often accumulates at the top.

What are the hardware specs of your pc?

When the mounting issues have been removed from the equation then additional test can be run using benchmarking software, these can be used to indicate other potential hardware issues.

Let me know how you get along and good luck :D

Last edited: 3 May 2008
  3. Squadexodus

Its my Gpu overheating. My Cpu is fine, and its a nice 20C. However, the graphics card is knocking the overall system ambient temperature is 30 Degrees. Motherboard monitor, Other Cpu monitoring (Cpu-Z, uGuru) confirm the temperatures. However, the Nvidia monitor says the gpu is at 71C when i didnt have the two 80MM fans in. When i put them in, it went to 51C. I have an XFX 8600 512mb

4. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I just googled to find the average temps for your card and it looks like 71C is OK.

I have an 8800GTX which was idle at around 79-85c on air, on water it's now idle at 38c and hits 49 under load. On air the 8800GTX cards are apparently good until 125c.

You dont happen to have an old GPU that you could put back in for testing purposes? If 71c is normal for your GPU then it should not still be shutting down your computer, have you tried Orthos or Prime 95 which will help to indicate memory problems.

Sounds like you have the airflow going in the right direction though, if the ambient case temp is 30c then your doing pretty well. A drop of 20c on your GPU is great!!

5. Squadexodus

I do have a GPU, but its agp, and there aren't any agp slots on my Abit ip35 Pro. The freezing stopped, so i dont know what was going on. High temperatures like that make me nervous, because thats how my last computer fried. (It was pre built, not my fault)

I would water cool, but i dont really know a space to put the system, and i dont want to void the warranty on a new video card. 500 bucks is expensive for a card with a block too...

Last edited: 4 May 2008
  6. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

Usually I'd recommend that side fans be set as intakes but it depends on what other fans you have and where. Intakes at bottom, front and side and exhausts at rear and top - that's my general view.

7. Squadexodus

I have another question, I really want to use my scythe fan so i can cutback on the noise to some degree. However, there are no 120mm vents on the side of my case. If i were to place a 120mm fan over an approximatley 90x160mm hole, would it be acceptable airflow wise?

8. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

That would probably work for airflow. I wouldn't advise it though. If you use too small hole that doesn't spread evenly over the fan, you're going to get a pressure differential from one fan wing to the other. In other words the fan is going to get noisy! (You can test this by blowing out and waving your hand across the air stream.)

9. Squadexodus

I would cut out a hole, but it wouldnt have mesh over it. The 2 80mm fans i put in there cooled the gpu to 48C.

Tags: