1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sid, 27 May 2002.

1. Sid

Sid Banned

what would u guys recommend as the best cpu heatsink/fan for an athlon xp 1800+ which will probably be gettin overclocked.

i was look at the "alpha PAL8045", is it good? are there any better fans available? i guess this will be really noisy, but thats not really an issue for me.

also, what case fans would u recommend? i was gonna get sum 80mm deltas :) they look awesome: 68.51CFM are there any better than this? i relize that these are one of the noisest fans around, but is the noise really that bad? eg. will it drown out the sound of my music...give me headaches...make my life a living hell...force me to watercooling? that bad? :eeek:

thanks

2. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

The Alpha PAL8045 typically does not come with a fan, with the choice of fan left to the user. You can go quiet, reasonable performance with a Papst or Panaflo L1a, or outright performance with an 80CFM delta, or strike a good balance, as many of us do, with a Mechatronics.

As for Case fans, the 68CFM deltas are difficult to use as acse fans due to their 38mm depth, as opposed to the standard 25mm for case fans. If you have a reasonable number of fan slots in your case (eg a chieftec dragon), 68CFM fans are complete overkill. I use 4x45 and 1x29CFM fans in my chieftec (two 45s out, two in, 29 in, PSU out), and it remains at room temperature. Adding more airflow will not achieve anything more, since no matter how much air you push in, it will still be room temperature. Why spend the money and tolerate the noise of fan which aren't necessary?

3. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

YS-Tech and Sunon Fans are good quality well built budget fans with a reasonable air to noise ratio...

just rember no matter how good ur heatsink and fan is on ur cpu, if your case air circulation is no good, then it wont perform well...

4. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

The Alpha really is one of the best Heatsinks around and coupled with a good fan is amazing! However, just make sure your motherboard has the required mounting holes! Most newer ones do but some older ones may not, so check before you buy!

5. Sid

Sid Banned

oh rite, i thot that the alpha came with a fan.

i think ill get the alpha heatsink with a delta fan

then for the case im gonna get in several 60mm*60mm*
    25mm deltas :) i think ill enjoy the noise. at least ill know my computer is actually running.

im gettin the asus a7v333 motherboard, anyone know if it will fit to that?

oh that reminds me, anyone know if thats a good motherboard? can anyone suggest a better one? i dont need raid. i just want good performance. in fact ill just create a new thread for this.

cheers for the help guys

6. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Case fans are typically 80x80x25, not 60x60x25.

I don't understand why you WANT deltas....I had a delta once, and I got rid of it after I started getting tinnitus.

Believe me, with a couple of YS-tech case fans and a mechatronics a) you will have good cooling and b) you'll know the machine is running.

As for motherboards, I'll reply in your other thread.

7. felix the cat

i had a delta aswell once and it had to leave within 30 mins as it drove me nutz....

will fit that mobo...

8. Sid

Sid Banned

im just crazy and i think ill enjoy the noise. :D

ive had a nice quiet computer with only a heatsink for too long. :rolleyes:

9. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

i couldn't stand my heatsink with the 60mm delta. It wasn't that it was noisey it was just that it was so high pitched.

10. felix the cat

i think youre craziness will be cured within 10 min and then youll wish you had your quiet old pc back...

11. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

just don't come crying to us saying we didn't warn you when you get tinitus :p

12. The Punisher 2000

The Punisher 2000 What's a Dremel?

IF u ask me....DELTAs aren't bad. They are a little noisy but its like white noise its not like a baby crying or something. Its more like a quiet air conditioner. Thats just my opionion tho. It helps me fall asleep!!!

T[H]anks.

13. felix the cat

youre weird then:D....i thuoght the noise was of someone constantly having an industrial strenght vacum cleaner going in my room when i had my delta...:sigh:

14. monolith

monolith True Friend

I've got 5 deltas in my living room, and when I turn off the machines I can't stand the silence. I sleep better with all the machines running and the door open to my bedroom. Go figure. :)

15. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

why don't you put some blowholes in your pillow and put deltas on them. :D

16. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I've got a Coolermaster heat Pipe, and I know with these the Delta Fan is the big factor due to the amount of noise it makes, but it's a very nice fan if your prepared to cope through the noise.

I've bene running mine since march and I'm very happy with it, CPU temps are 38 idle, 43 full load on a un-clocked Tbird 1.2GHz (266 fsb) The fan was really noisy during the first month or 2, but for osme reason it seems ot have gone quiter (could just be I'm used to it by now)

17. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

And I get similar temps on an over-volted, over-clocked Tbird 1400 @ 1633 with my Alpha. Full load right now (seti) giving me 41C CPU temp. Oh, and it's quieter too, and since I lived with a Delta for a long time (FOP38), I know for a fact that it is quieter.

18. felix the cat

i sweat those kind of noise levels arent good for you...or any other human being...