1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Best gaming keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Frohicky1, 10 Jan 2010.

1. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Hi all,

My Wolf King keyboard is getting a bit spongey, so I'm after a new keyboard. Main use will be online FPSs. The keys need to have a little spongeyness as possible, and ideally would be backlit. Anyone got any recommendations?

2. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Can fully recommend the razer lycosa, it's a bit expensive but seems to match all your criteria and as an FPS player myself, I find it invaluable.

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Has anything topped the G15 yet?

4. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

If I had the money (and real need) to pick up a new keyboard, it would be the Logitech Illuminated. Comes with great touch, backlight and from what I've heard it's supposed to be pretty quiet as well.

It's not a "gaming keyboard", which in my books is just a good thing. I hate all the gloss black plastic used by Razer, the G15 touch in long run, and so on... gaming gear just doesn't cut it.

EDIT: Roccat Arvo was nice as it was so small and had good touch to it, but it was lacking backlight and USB-hub..

6. matty4467

matty4467 ...

Hi,
    I have the Saitek Eclipse III, and I must say it is a beautiful keyboard to use, And it is also backlit! The Price is not to bad either,

Matty

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/mice_keyboard_combos/devices/5902&cl=us,en

Looks lovely, good features, and I've never yet been let down by a Logitech typing action.. they all feel nice.

Also, while researching this, I looked for REAL pictures of the back illumination.. not PR shots, as they always look great in the ads, but suffer horribly from light leaking from behind the keys.

It would appear the G110 has perfect backlighting too.

[​IMG]

8. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

First off - budget, colour squeme (if your after LED's), fussed for macros, audio controls, what key style - flat laptop style (Razer) or more traditional keyboard raised keys etc.

But anyways:

I've used the Saitek Cyborg, Saitek Eclipse I and II, Logitech G11 & G15 v2. Apart from the Eclipse I, their all very nice. If your not entirely fussed for any macro's or anything and just want a reliable gaming keyboard that shows blue then personally the Saitek Eclipse II - probably the cheapest out of the lot at £30.

My cyborg keyboard will probably be a bit too aggressive and doesn't show the mainstream blue LED's, so maybe either Saitek Eclipse II or 3, or G110 depending on price (Logitech G11 is overpriced atm to be honest seems I got it for £30 about two year ago and it's £45 now).

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

My lycosa just stopped working about a week ago no idear why but a nice keyboard the only thing I did'nt like was the keys are hard to see in day light,
    I'm useing a Saitek Cyborg atm work ok easier to see as well .
    Thinking at getting the steel series Merch Stealth one look interesting.

Edit It appears the razor lycosa dont get on with some KVM switches apart from that it works perfect.

Last edited: 2 May 2010
  10. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

I'd like to vouch for the keyboard i use, Saitek Cyborg keyboard. I likes it:p

11. azzybish

azzybish What's a Dremel?

Razer keyboards are horrifically tacky if you ask me. My mate got an arctosa and it just reeked of cheap plastic.

Get a logitech, i have a G11 and its very nice. That G110 looks even better, less gimmicks to distract you.

12. Thanh55

Thanh55 What's a Dremel?

The Saitek Eclipse II serve me well for years and started sluggisg nw if I would need another one I like to go for it again :)

13. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Your best bets would be the Eclipse II, G15 and the G11/110. I have both the G15 and Eclipse boards and they're responsiveness and feel is exceptional. The lcd on the G15 is handy for temperature monitoring, aswell as ingame stats, xfire/email and Ventrilo. However the Eclipse feels more like a typists keyboard rather than a gamer's keyboard.

14. GogoPogo

GogoPogo What's a Dremel?

Logitech G110

The Logitech G110 is a reasonable gaming keyboard for those who don't need the LCD of the G19. With programmable keys, color backlighting, and USB headset emulation, you get a functional gaming keyboard for the money.

As there are plently of reviews about this keyboard's features and strong points, I felt inclined to tell you about the out-of-the-box impression and negative points as well:

I got the G110 to replace my Saitek Eclipse II gaming keyboard, and was very surprised to find that the G110 was not as good - my expectations were set high especially as Logitech products usually get very good reviews.

My initial out-of-the-box impression was that the G110 looked cheap and plasticy in comparison to gaming keyboards around the same price bracket.

The G110 is not very solid to hold or type on; I'm not sure it will last me very long knowing that this keyboard will get a lot of hard use during my game playing. It's not that heavy either; so it moves about when I'm typing if the surface is slightly uneven as my desk is.

The G110 keys are compact and close to each together; it feels cramped and I'm mis-typing a lot as I type this review. I'll probably get used to it.

The G110 key backlighting is not really bright enough; unless you pick a very bright colour like red or your room is very dark.

The G110 keyboard tilt feet are not long enough to raise the back of the keyboard to make much difference to the angle; it feels flat even with the feet down.

The G110 Windows-key disable switch is useful to have but it's very stiff to move; to the point that the effort needed to move the switch makes the keyboard move as well.

I'm sure I'll get used to the G110 eventually, but unlike my recent purchase of the excellent and very impressive Roccat Kone mouse, I'm dissappointed to say that the G110 is not in the same league.

15. Pookeyhead

Get a better desk them, because I've never had mine move while typing. seriously, I think you need to evaluate your typing style. I've even tried to make it move while typing and couldn't.

The keys are small, and I also had to adjust, but it took a day or two. It feels natural now, and when I use a keyboard with larger keys, I now struggle... so who's right and who's wrong? :)

Which is exactly why it's perfect. I like it because it's designed to do what backlighting should: Allow you to see the keys when it's dark, and NOT light up like a Christmas tree. It's functional, and not for bling. I find the Saitek too bright. It's actually a distraction. If your 14 and want bling.. the G110 is not for you.

Agreed... but so are almost all keyboards these days. Apparently it's better for you. Like you I do prefer a more angled keyboard when typing.. but for gaming, I find this better, and it is a gaming keyboard.

It's so you don't accidentally move it I suppose. tbh I've never used this switch, as hitting the Win key was never something I suffered from. If it was light enough to move without steadying the board with one had, it would also be easily moved unintentionally. In a way I agree with you though, because I feel this should be a push switch, with LED notification that it's on instead. Hardly a deal breaker though.

Which goes to show you that for something like a mouse of a keyboard.. it's subjective.

16. GogoPogo

GogoPogo What's a Dremel?

I do have a good computer desk. but the G110 only has 2 little rubber feet at the front. so the front of the keyboard is ok. but the back still moves a bit.

it's always possible to adjust. for example, laptop keys are crammed together. once i get used to the G110 i expect i will be able to reach more keys with the same hand span. logitech has tried to keep to a standard keyboard width even with 12 G keys added to the left, and that's why it's cramped. i would have been happier with a slightly wider keyboard, it would make the transition from a normal keyboard quicker and i would have less keystroke accidents e.g. pressing G6 instead of Ctrl e.g. G1 instead of Esc.

i agree that the Eclipse keyboard is over-lit when the brightness is set to full, but it has a brigthness adjustment, so it can be changed to suit everybody's needs from off to very bright. the G110 has just on or off and colour.

with a flat keyboard it's even more difficult to see the keys when they are not very bright - unless you sit over your keyboard and look down at it like a hawk looking for a mouse. it would have been very easy for logitech to add a 2-step tilt in and then we would all be happy with the angle.

i don't use it either; but it's another improvement for logitech to consider.

yes it's like comparing apples with pears i suppose. i got the keyboard and the mouse at the same time - i adjusted to the mouse very quickly but i'm still struggling with the keyboard - especially as i use an office keyboard for work which is not cramped up like the G110.

17. JamButty

JamButty Risking life and limb for Blighty!

Another vote for the Saitek Eclipse II, good key action and wrist support combined with good backlight adjustment and a decent price.

18. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

And yet another for the Saitek Eclipse II, had it for a year and a half now, not let me down yet. Love it to bits.

19. NightGlyde

NightGlyde What's a Dremel?

So what keyboard would you suggest to a 14 y.o.? :D

I've been puzzling with the Razer Lycosa, but would be happy to find a better option.

20. Pookeyhead

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/v7keyboard.htm

Look how awesome it is!!!11111

Backlighting bright enough to illuminate the room - check
    pointless graphics stamped all over it - check
    superfluous LED bars - check
    design from the not too distant future - check
    Macho name - check