1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Best Graphics Card For £150

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carper, 2 Jul 2010.

1. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

2. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

If you look at this page of the guru3d review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/25 you can see that they say that the cooler on the Palit Sonic Platinum stays silent even when overclocked. Even though this is a different version to the 768mb one they both use the same cooler so they would see similar results when it coms to cooling & noise.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with this version personally.

3. Carper

Carper Guru

4. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

You can count me in on this discussion now, considering the 5770 I was after has magically disappeared from scan... nice. Anyhow, the build I'l have is pretty much the affordable all-rounder from the buyers guide, but now I need a graphics card to fill the slot of the 5770.

Best suggestions for around the £160 mark on a 1680x1050 resolution screen?

5. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

For cheapness and in stock, but still better than 5770 according to BT, you should buy this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/768MB-Palit-GTX-460-3600MHz-GDDR5-GPU-675MHz-Shader-Clock-1350MHz-336-Cores-DVI-D-Sub-HDMI

There are two Palit versions yeah. The non-Platinum is already a hot seller on Scan and is currently in stock. The Platinum isn't even listed. But the Platinum IS on CCL for £195.

I've read all that Guru3D stuff and they reckon the Palit cooler is around 40db, which is not silent at all, but pretty quiet. That said, it won't be Vapor-X quiet. I'm guessing around the same as the stock 5870 cooler maybe. The Gigabyte 1GI cooler subjectively according to Guru 3D is quieter, but not as quick as the RAM isn't overclocked like the Palit and the GPU clock is less aggressive. However, Scan do not have the Gigabyte in stock, and CCL don't even list it.

I'm tempted by Palit Sonic Platinum, because at just under £200 it's virtually gonna be 5850 performance. It puts out less heat, and the connectivity is good.

The Gigabyte has less options on the back (although that's not the end of the world), and is gonna be slower, but it appears it's also quieter. However, it's not in stock and I try to avoid that situation usually. Hmmm......

6. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Extracts from Guru3D on subjective noise and heat:

However, they measured 37 on the Gigabyte and 40 on the Palit, I'm not convinced that's a huge amount of difference. Bear in mind the cooler will be the same on the 1gig Gigabyte card.

Also, the Palit is shorter, which might be a consideration for some people....

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

It is better to get a quiet & cool card that can be overclocked, rather than an pre-overclocked card that can't be made quieter.

8. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

It is if you're happy to overclock. But when you look at the pre-overclocked numbers of the Palit Platinum and then remember it comes with a warranty, better connectivity AND it's actually in stock at CCL....

I love the idea of the Gigabyte, but if I can't buy one, it's irrelevant isn't it?! Plus, the overclock on the Palit is properly mental!

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

40dB IS WHISPER?? ********. Hilbert is a nice bloke but the man needs his hearing checked. 18-21dB is whisper, sub-15 is barely audible and sub 12 is pretty much silent, depending on the environment. 30+ is frikkin loud. :/

10. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Exactly what I thought!!!

This is from Hexus:

Assuming that's the same EVGA that you've stated has a reference cooler. We can assume the reference cooler may in fact, be not that bad. After all, unless it's Vapor-X you're gonna hear a GPU a least a bit when compared with other "silent" fans, PSUs and HSFs etc.

Rich, any idea when we'll see individual card reviews with some subjective noise talk from BT?

edit: Re-reading the 768mb BT review, it does say that the reference cooler is quiet.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2010
  11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

From what a mate in the USA who's a reviewer told me the 1gb one is the one to get.

And in sli they are quite impressive.

12. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

So are you saying I should go for the Palit 768 one at Scan? Is it worth plumbing the little bit extra at CCL for the 1GB version? Got to get the RAM at the same time. Could do with ordering and having it delivered before I go away on Friday considering the rest of my gear is arriving sometime today!! :)

13. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

You said around £160, so I recommended on that basis. If you're still looking spend around that and speed is more important than noise, the Palit 768 is still in stock at Scan and will be better than a 5770. In my book £160 to £200 isn't a "little bit extra", but yes the 1gig Platinum will be quicker. As to how much, you'd need to read all the crap I've read today and make you're own mind up. If you're happy with the Palit cooler and you have £200, you may as well get what is probably the fastest 460 on the market and not have to worry about overclocking, but that's £40 over your budget. Up to you....

14. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Thanks. Appreciate the input. Turns out it's a tiny bit cheaper from CCL for the Palit 768 and the RAM I'm after. No idea what it cools like; I'm presuming it's ok having seen a 'representitive' result on BT but it's a risk you have to take on such a tight budget...

Now to consider whether it's worth getting a couple of fans for the R2! :)

p.s. I just took delivery of the majority of the kit and the R2 has come with an extra free 120mm silent series case fan and controller (which aren't standard!) because I have to replace the front usb cable with another (in the box) due to some problems. Fine by me!!! I don't mind getting free stuff in exchange for replacing a cable!!! That brings the tally of free stuff to a fan and 3 ipod nano cases. WIN! :D

15. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Great news! And you're right about budget. I think that'll be fine. PLEASE, PLEASE post back when you've installed it all and let us all know what you think about the noise and the performance.

16. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

I might just get me a 1 GB version, they are only $20 more expensive than the other here in the US. I guess I will just wait for the contests I have entered to WIN one are over...

It was interesting to see the contrast in opinion for the 460 between the 1st page and the 2nd and 3rd pages. nVidia really turned around with the 460, we all expected it to be another card flawed to the point of being less valuable than its target ATI competition. It's refreshing to see the green team in fact blow competition out of the water.

17. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Don't worry. I'll see what I can do. I have to get it all done before Friday as I'm going away for a week!! Late nights anyone? I'm going for the Palit 768MB. Thanks for the thoughts.

Right now I feel like a giddy little kid, especially with the freebies! :clap:

18. Carper

Carper Guru

gigabyte is still not in stock at scan and the 1gbs are selling like hot cakes. really want to order one before the week is up. After bindibadgi's comment i hope it isn't too noisy for me lol

19. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Giddyness gone as I can't order to where I'm living first time from CCL... :wallbash: You'll have to wait until next week for info, and I guess by that time someone else will have done it.

Back to wrestling with my case tidying!

20. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Yes, I've spent the afternoon overclocking an EVGA reference 768MB version, and it's basically silent, even at full fans and full overclock.

Temps are great (60C) and the speed's awesome too!