1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Best Graphics Card Under £100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Strudul, 19 Jul 2010.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

True, but I have bought off it around 10 times and never had a single problem - just make sure you get a phone number, meet somewhere safe, and use common sense. If its too good to be true - it usually is.

2. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Agreed. I don't like the look of the site, but there has definitely been some people from this forum using them with no dramas. I would probably give it a try for the right deal ...

3. Strudul

Strudul ~

I've only got a small PSU (400W), so if i get a 48XX, i will probably have to upgrade my PSU which will be at least another £50. However if I go for a 57XX I should be okay as long as I do not overclock.

I can get a 5770 for £118 at overclockers.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-131-OK

4. Strudul

Strudul ~

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

That brand of card looks a bit dodgy and Overclockers will charge you delivery.

Get this MSI 5770 from Ebuyer and use the free delivery option and it will cost £119.98 which will end up cheaper than the crap VTX one from Overclockers. Be quick, Ebuyer only has one left.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

7. Strudul

Strudul ~

Its £147 for the MSI one...
    But i swear that only changed in the last minute ! :O

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Bugger, you're right, b*******s making a liar out of me by upating their site!

The next cheapest one they do is the Sapphire @ £125.39 which again includes free delivery but it is only 512mb. The 1GB HIS is £134 but the price is starting to creep up now.

9. Strudul

Strudul ~

I think it really needs to be a 1gb for gaming. Correct me if i'm wrong...

10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Scan are doing the 1GB MSI for £129.21, now that you have 20 posts in this forum you qualify for free delivery from them. See here for details.

11. Strudul

Strudul ~

Already got the free delivery from posting on HEXUS. Needed it when I was buying my cathodes.

12. Strudul

Strudul ~

13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If it was a choice between the CCL own brand, the Novatech own brand and the MSI at Scan, it would have to be the MSI at Scan every time.

Own brands generally tend to use cheaper components although I cannot personally comment on the ones you listed as I haven't bought any.

14. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Agreed - get the MSI. It's the same price and I think that they will look after you if RMA time comes around. They are making a big push with their Big Bang motherboards etc ... I think that they will look after their brand perception.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2010
  15. Parge

He's right you know.

ATI give the board partners a reference design, they build it using whatever parts they wish

Typically the more expensive brands will use better quality RAM etc. I'd stick with some of the well known brands if I were you.

16. Strudul

Strudul ~

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

LOL, the Gigabyte cooler looks like the Batmobile, is that an intentionally ironic statement given the first 5xxx series coolers?

The HIS @ Ebuyer has a slower clock than the rest - 800MHz instead of 850MHz - assuming it is not a typo on the web page. It also only has one DVI port but it depends if the photo is accurate.

The XFX @ Dabs is showing two different types of cooler, depending on which photo you click on. A cooler that vents hot air out of the back of the case is better for me personally but I don't know if it makes a difference for your personal circumstances. You also get two games with that one.

There is a review posted on the Novatech page about HIS they have as being a bit noisy.

The MSI @ Scan only appears to have one DVI port as well but again it depends if the photo is accurate.

I wouldn't rely on the photo's though. It is a hard call. I would check the web for reviews of them all to compare the cooling and noise performance. Make sure you make note of the particular model reference number so you can be sure of getting the same one as reviewed.

In terms of brand, to be honest I wouldn't know until trawling the web to compare after-sales service in terms of RMA's, BIOS upgrades etc. I have a Sapphire 4870 Vapor-X but I have only had it about 7 months so no reason to contact them.

18. Parge

That Gigabyte one looks terrible, there is no way I would have that in my case! I saw some other company (Asus?) were doing cards in the shape of F1 cars. Disgusting.

Anyhow, I rate all of those companies - though Sapphire tend to be on the lower end of the scale. If I had a choice I'd be going with the XFX one. All the XFX cards I've had in the past have been very good.

19. Strudul

Strudul ~

It says it is 850. Scroll down a bit and it say "Engine CLK (MHz) 850MHz"

20. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Ahh, my bad, I read the wrong line. :duh: