1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Best graphics to date?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mikemorton, 14 Nov 2010.

1. Infring

Infring What's a Dremel?

Crysis had beautifull graphics but i hear crysis 2 will have beter graphics and will need less system resources :)

2. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

OK time marches on - and so has this thread - so what games blow you over in the looks department right now?

I'm talking graphics - forget how good or bad the game is - let's get Kim Kardashian shallow here.

In the past year the only game that has really wowed me is a heavily modded Skyrim.

And Crysis 2 was very pretty once it got its DX11 updates.

Over to you:

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The Witcher 2. It oozed environment. It proves to me that no matter how shiny graphics are, if it fits with the game it's much more memorable.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Would have to be between BF3 (although a few SSAO shadows where there shouldn't be ruined the illusion)

Arkham City with DX11 and Physx set to High is also a stunner, and they have solve the SSAO issue but removing it from areas where there are lights shining directly at where it should be.

Metro 2033 also has a few stunning scenes that no game has come to match yet.

There were a couple of cutscenes in Crysis 2 that wowed me, not anything like he amount of stuff that did so in the original.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Crysis 1 (Or Cryengine 2.0 to be more precise) with mods..... The technical complexity coupled with the vast ability to tweak means it will still be right up there for quite a while yet.

6. Phenic

Phenic What's a Dremel?

I haven't played many top games :sigh: but I thought Arkham city was awesome.

Really nice lighting effects the way the light comes through fences, lights reflecting in the wet cobble stone paths.

The unreal 3 engine is capable of some really nice effects.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Now it just needs destructibility.

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Must have been only a few stunning scenes in Metro cos all I saw was dark tunnels and just a few bits above ground. Couldn't be assed to play it after a while cos I got sick of running through dark tunnels.

Crysis 2 has some very nice graphics in DX11. Some of the textures look amazing. BF3 single player has stunning graphics, the multiplayer has greatly reduced graphics.

Not tried batman cos I'm put off by 3rd person console games but I have heard a lot of praise about it.

9. Deders

Deders Modder

Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are well worth a play, by far the best superhero type game ever, so much atmosphere. Play Asylum first though, then you'll appreciate them both that much more.

10. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Must have had your eyes closed. The game had some very sexy looking atmospheric levels. I think most of he tunnel levels were brilliant. All you have to do is Google Metro 2033 to see the detail in the graphics or watch a YouTube video at 720 to see what I mean.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,744081/Metro-2033-Impressive-community-screenshots/News/

I rest my case :worried:

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Im with dwarfer on this one, Crysis 2 looked pathetic with the DX11 add on, it was as if the DX11 hightmap data was slapped onto existing textures with a photoshop filter.

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Crysis 2 had some very nice textures even in DX9 and managed in DX9 to look better than many games in DX11. The tree textures were a let down but it had some very nice textures otherwise. Atop one of the buildings, looking at iridescent oil puddles, very realistic wall textures and very detailed tree. Much of this is ignored and overlooked by crysis 1 worshippers. It's as if there's a determination to deny anything good about C2. One one of the C1 worshippers posted screenshots of a modded C1 to show it looked better than C2, it was laughable because the trees still looked very cartoony by comparison.

I have played quite far through C2 and stopped to admire the scenery in quite a few sections.

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Sorry but I dunt see what so great about those screenshots? They aren't art, just a few screenshots from a tunnel crawler.

14. Deders

Deders Modder

If you saw them full motion and full screen you'd change your tune almost (maybe a little longer if you take into account the time it takes for your jaw to return to normal position) instantly.

Some of the scenes truly are stunning, it's mainly down to the lighting effects that will still bring Fermi cards down below 20FPS at some points.

As for Crysis 2, I was to busy complaining about how the cars looked like they had been borrowed from Modern Warfare 2 to really notice much else beyond the good textures that made me think wow. There were a couple of cutscenes that were beyond what I've seen before but nothing else that blew me away.

The DX11 afterthoughts were implemented so badly, some objects that didn't need tessellation used too much of it, others didn't get any. Any water in any level went right underneath the whole level and took up tessellation cycles that could have been used elsewhere.

Human models were better than Crysis though.

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Well I guess that's the problem isn't it. Some people spend their time focused on trivial things. I didn't give a **** how cars looked and I avoid cod games so it doesn't matter to me if they look similar.

My focus was on playing the game rather than analysing the vehicles but nevertheless I saw quite a few nice looking textures and nice lighting. If someone would like to post youtube link at 1080 to the C1 mod that supposedly makes it look so amazing.

I will never get so into a game that I get all worked up if the sequel deviates in some way. I like Crysis 1 but I didn't think it was a wonderful game. I liked the openness of the world and I liked the game enough to complete it. I couldn't be assed to play through Warhead because it looked like more of the same and the snow driving bored the feck out of me.

C2 I don't rate as a wonderful game but graphically it looks good for the most part and I found it interesting enough to play through.

16. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Crysis 2 really did have pathetic graphics quality. And about the trees. Have you seen what The CryEngine 2 can achieve. Some videos and screenshots look near life-like when unlocking the full potentially to the Crysis config.

As for comparing Crysis 1 & 2... http://www.overclock.net/t/954287/side-by-side-comparison-crysis-2-vs-crysis-1-fixed-images

17. Deders

Deders Modder

OMG yes, the solid foliage! Hard to think this game is related to Far Cry.

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

19. Deders

Deders Modder

And yet still much better than a lot of stuff that comes out.

20. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Skyrim certainly since that's another console port.

When I tried un-modded C1 again earlier this year maxed out it just doesn't look good in terms of textures.