1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Best low profile CPU cooler?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mac_Trekkie, 17 Jan 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Got a few different mini-ITX/microATX projects in the works right now, and was wondering if anyone had experience with the various low-profile CPU coolers. I've got height limitations around 8.5cm or so on most of them. Some a little more, some a little less. Right now I'm leaning towards the Scythe SCSK-1100 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185097) as it has a nice thin Scythe fan (everyone loves Scythe!) and it's low. Reviews are pretty positive of it. But if anyone has it and says otherwise, or if anyone has any other low profile coolers and has their own takes on them, I'd love to hear them. Hell, this can be the low profile cooler appreciation thread! :thumb:

2. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

H80 is pretty low profile if you can get the 2x120mms and rad in your case.

3. Mac_Trekkie

Definitely not possible. All the projects are using 1 or three case fans with very very low tolerances around the fans. Three major cases in use: Lian-Li PC-TU200, Silverstone Fortress FT03, and Lian-Li PC-Q11. The Lian-Li's both have 1 fan, and the Silverstone has three. There is no room at all for any of the closed loop liquid coolers.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i've used that Scythe cooler in a build for my parents, just about manages Phenom2 x6 1055t at stock. airflow within the case is still important. the case i used was Silverstone SG-02, which has PSU right on top of the CPU cooler. i had to reverse the fans so that the PSU exhausts CPU's hot air to get slightly better cooling.

so don't expect any overclocks from this cooler.

but having said that, it is a very quiet cooler with top quality components.

5. Mac_Trekkie

Thanks, those are my two most important aspects. All the builds are getting a Xeon e3-2130, which supposedly runs cooler than a Phenom II. Do you by any chance have temperatures for the CPU in that build?

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

IIRC, it was 40 idle and 65 when transcoding video at 100%. was 70c before i flipped the fan around. case in-take is all done using openings, exhaust is done using PSU (a 5 year old Hx620), so not the best airflow for the cooler.

i believe the cooler is rated at 130w heat dissipation, the Phenom 2 is 125w. your Intel sandybridge will be 95w at most, so should be no problem.

7. Mac_Trekkie

80w, actually, removing the integrated graphics takes a big load off the heat production :brrr: