1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Best Plex TV Client?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Awoken, 23 Jan 2016.

1. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Do you have a PlexPass subscription? If so, try Plex Media Player for Pi2. It's a smoother ride than Rasplex.

2. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Out of curiosity, what version of the Samsung plex client are you using?

3. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

I have a couple of ROKU 3's heavy plex user, never had any problems.

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

The best Plex client I've had was an AMD AM1 build using the 5350 (overkill). Pick up an sfx psu and a small SSD with 2gb of ram and you're all set. More expensive than a roku, but if you ever wanted to do some light gaming you'd have that option too.

Sent from my ja3g using Tapatalk

5. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Sadly not. With recent outlay on a Satellite install (for Freesat), a Humax 1100S, a Samsung BD-J7500 Bluray player and a new WD Red 6TB drive (we've bought a lot of blu-rays since Christmas, which have now been added to our Plex collection), I don't have the spare cash for a Plexpass. I'll probably install Rasplex and then try PMP when it's trial period finishes and it gets a public release.

6. Awoken

Too rich for me at the moment. If the Raspberry Pi 2 B doesn't work out then I might consider saving for a mini HTPC.

7. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I have a rPi 2 running Rasplex for my plex needs works fine, Have one of the new mini Pi's to test it on to see if that can do the job as well

8. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I think i'm the only one to suggest a Nvidia Shield?

I have a Shield and Fire TV(1st Gen) at home for Kodi/streaming uses and ive got no issues with either on both Wireless or Wired connections (Not sure of the 5.1 sound output tbh).

I believe the Shield to be the most powerful option out there except a full blown PC. Take a look at one but by no means is it cheap at the moment.

9. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

A Games console like a 360 makes a great client. I use my PS4 at the moment, it's pretty good and zippy for it. Kind of sad since I use the poor bugger more for movies and videos than for gaming.

10. Awoken

Project: Build a Rapberry Pi Plex Client using Rasplex
    Total time: 40 minutes (from unboxing to working)

If you're going to be viewing a lot of high bitrate, HD content I'd strongly advise against wireless and definitely not wireless N (Sadly I don't have a wireless AC router to test).

[​IMG]

My Raspberry Pi Starter Kit arrived today. £40 for everything, courtesy of a sale at the PiHut (unfortunately the sale finished before I could post this): http://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-kits-and-bundles/products/raspberry-pi-2-starter-kit

Power Supply (5V & 2A - microUSB - you could use a phone charger if it's capable of 2A output) £6
    8GB Class 10 Sandisk MicroSD card (with N00Bs installed) £5
    1m HDMI cable £4
    1m Ethernet cable £0.90

Total: £47.90 max

[​IMG]

In the box you get:
    Raspberry Pi 2B (Quad Core & 1GB Ram)
    Raspberry Pi Case (Piano black, three part case with cutouts for all ports and plenty of ventilation)
    Power Supply (5V & 2A - microUSB - you could use a phone charger if it's capable of 2A output)
    8GB Class 10 Sandisk MicroSD card (with N00Bs installed)
    1m HDMI cable
    1m Ethernet cable

You may also need:
    - a MicroSD adaptor to format your MicroSD card

[​IMG]

- some way of controlling RasPlex (I didn't as my Samsung TV is CEC compatible, allowing my TV remote to control Rasplex - no extra remote/keyboard needed) - You could also use the Plex app on your phone as a remote (the link button is in the top right of the app).

[​IMG]

Format your microSD card if necessary

[​IMG]

Head on over to www.rasplex.com.

[​IMG]

Download a copy of GetRasplex and select the model of Raspberry Pi that you bought and the version of RasPlex that you want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Download the image.

[​IMG]

Write the image to your microSD card.

[​IMG]

Insert the RasPlex enriched card into you Raspberry Pi.

Fit the Pi into the case...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Locate the Raspberry Pi somewhere around your TV

[TIP: You can buy 4 little velcro spots. The hook part of each spot attaches to the corners of your Raspeberry Pi case and the fabric part of each spot attaches to the back of your TV allowing you to stick the pi to the back of your TV]

Plug in the HDMI and Ethernet cables first, then plug in the power supply.

You'll also need to setup your controller for the Pi.

[​IMG]

Follow the onscreen prompts to connect RasPlex to your server and set time etc.

Pre-caching of art takes a few minutes but really helps improve the responsiveness of the system so choose this option.

[​IMG]

Voila! You have a fast and responsive Plex Client.

It's speedy, looks great and has played everything I have thrown at it without the need to Transcode.

For ~£40 it is a huge improvement on the free app supplied with most TVs and MUCH more capable. We've had one crash, although this appears to have been caused by the router Plusnet supplied us with cutting out right in the middle of something and needing a reset rather than the Pi.

We're very happy with the results and as it uses the original TV remote my wife and son find it very easy to use [my son loves the fact that Plex plays the theme song to his shows while he browses the episodes available.]