1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Best reasonably priced 24" screen?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jipa, 4 Nov 2007.

1. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'm looking to upgrade my well-served Viewsonic VX2025wm to something larger. The screen of choice right now seems to be the Dell 2407WFP-HC. Do you think this is what I should get for around 600 €? I've noticed that Samsung and LG has brought some cheap (~500 €) screens to the markets, but AFAIK they use TN-panels and aren't too good in any way...

Is there any other than these that I could look at? Reasonably price for me is 500-700 €. I live in Finland, but as the prices here are ridiculous especially with the Dell, I'm most likely gonna order from Germany.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The Dell's a great monitor, another one to consider (imo) is the BenQ FP241WZ - HDMI input and slightly better image-quality than the Dell, although it's a bit more expensive. :)

3. Jipa

That's around 800 € in Finland and 700 € in Germany.. A bit too much :( Besides I don't think I'll ever need extra connections because I don't have any consoles and don't watch TV.

4. Krikkit

Fair enough - it was just an option, if I was getting a 24" I'd use it as a HDTV as well, so I'd want an HDMI on it if I could get one. :)

5. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

If you can get the FP241W, it's cheaper and is the same monitor without Black Frame Insertion.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Dell 2407WFP. Get it refurbished or through Dell Outlet. You can get them for £375,-- which is 540 Euros. On ebay they go for £300,-- which is 430 Euros.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2007
  7. Jipa

I've never heard of refurbishing monitors.. Interesting. I should borrow someone's Visa to order from ebay, so that's pretty much not an option. Also the warranties sound problematic if the seller is someone from somewhere.

8. Krikkit

If you buy a new one it's a warranty honoured by Dell directly, so you don't have to talk to anyone else. :)

9. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

The Dell 24" has serious ghosting problems. Search for Dell 2407WFP-HC (which is the version shipping now) ghosting problems on youtube and you'll find it. Unless the refurbished ones are the old version, I would stay away. I bought a BenQ FP241W, it's awesome. IMHO, it's well worth the extra money. Awesome colors and contrast, extremely bright, lots of inputs, USB hub, etc.

10. Krikkit

The newer revisions of the HC don't have the ghosting issue, and the over-saturation problem experienced with the A02 version (current) is easily solved by tweaking the colour settings.

The FP241W is a great monitor though, if I were buying a 24" tomorrow, that'd be it. :)

11. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

Really? I thought that it was the latest revision...I mean, I just bought my FP241W three weeks ago and was investigating the ghosting problems....hmmm...let me see if I can find the link.

12. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

OK, here's from a Dell rep on their forum: http://www.dellcommunity.com/suppor...hread.id=81254&view=by_date_ascending&page=50

quotes: Dell has received feedback from some customers regarding our new 2407WFP-HC monitors. The majority of this feedback has been positive but some customers have made inquiries regarding a ghosting trail behind a moving image. This effect is known as "overdrive ghosting" and, while not typically experienced with general monitor use, it may be seen from time to time when viewing patterns on a lower greyscale background.

This "overdrive ghosting" effect is tied to the overdrive feature of the LCD panel. The overdrive feature helps to deliver impressive picture details and quality across a wide multitude of usage models by improving the grey-to-grey response time. However, when the overdrive feature is coupled with a faster monitor response time, the potential for overdrive ghosting can occur in some viewing patterns.

graybags,

Your e-mail seems to suggest to me that Dell aware of the problem/issue/effect/feature.
    * No. When the manufacturer built it, they were not aware of the problem/issue.

my only option are to be credited or be stuck with the monitor.
    * Correct.

Are you saying that Dell are not going to release another revision with the "feature" removed?
    * Correct. We are not.

Those were from the beginning of October. Not everyone has noticed the problem, but according to Dell it is a problem, and they offer a refund for the product.

13. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I shelled out the big bucks for a 2407WFP-HC and hardly use it anymore--partly because my computer is so shite--that I just gave it to my brother yesterday.

So it would make more economic sense to just get an LG or some BenQ unit; I wouldn't know.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2007
  14. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

The current issue of Custom PC has a group test of 24" monitors, and the Dell (HC version) came out on top. If you do get one, let us know what you think as I am about to buy a 24" monitor in the next month.

15. Jipa

Most likely I won't be buying it before december as I'm waiting for tax-returns...

16. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

benq FP241W:clap:

17. Jipa

Lifting the month-old thread, but I think it's appropiate as I finally got to purchase the screen. I ended up with LG L245WP-NB for 650 €, and am atleast so far pretty impressed. The viewing angles are somewhat perfect and the stand is so much better than on the Viewsonic I had. The colours are still a bit lost, as I'm not too experienced in adjusting TFT-screens, but I believe they'll get even better too. Connections are HDMI, VGA and component and as far as I've understood this has the magical 8-bit panel.

Next I'll just have to save up for a 8800GT to play anything at native resolution :(

18. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Cool, what made you go for it? Also for anyone elses benefit try haggling with dell online can work wonders, did for me ;)

19. Jipa

I got a nice deal from the store that's about 100 m from my home, so I didn't bother with ordering anything.

Haggling didn't even come to my mind :eek: Usually online stores don't take that, and Finnish stores generally don't go to that too well.

Tags: