Build Advice Best second hand UK hardware places?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mejobloggs, 24 Oct 2011.

1. mejobloggs

mejobloggs What's a Dremel?

What are some trustworthy second hand PC hardware places?

Are there any physical markets or anything? Or all online?

I'm slowly working my way up to enough posts for bit tech but it's taking forever.

And then there's overclockers uk forum, plus another uk forum all requiring certain amount of posts to even see their second hand section

Which are the most active?

I'm not much of a talker so it's hard for me to get enough posts 3 times over. Might as well just concentrate on what people recommend.

2. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

This is somthing that i have wondered aswell. Would be nice to see what people are selling on here. Dont like using fleabay.

3. mejobloggs

mejobloggs What's a Dremel?

In NZ we pretty much just had 1 forum for second hand parts. Ran a good traders list etc so u could check if the buyer/seller was trustworthy before making the deal

Seemed to work a lot better than auction sites

I've been told there's a lot of stolen stuff on uk Ebay so hesitant to buy there

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

A lot of people buy from eBay though using this forums 2nd hand market is probably safer. The market here doesn't have that many postings but if you post a "Wanted" post people tend to be able to help you find it at a decent price point.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Not true at all - ebay/paypal have very effective buyer protection protocols which mean that if the buyer is screwed over he'll likey get a full refund, even if he has to wait 3 or 4 weeks for it. This forum has no such fallback and is entirely "buy at your own risk," because no transaction that takes place here is legally binding.

But that's not to say I wouldn't buy here - I regularly do, and it's a great community. Heck, I even bought a £325 CPU here, and that was a lot of money to part with on trust. :thumb:

As for ebay - take the rumours with a pinch of salt. Ebay is a GREAT place to buy hardware; in fact it's one of the best, and it remains my first port of call if I'm looking for a very specific bargain. To have a good ebay experience all you need to do is be careful: read the small print, compare listings, read feedback, and know exactly what you are buying (eg there IS a lot of counterfeit shiz on ebay, and it's very easy to get caught out by it!). If you are careful, there's no reason why you should worry about it.

Also try gumtree, which is IMO the best place for local ads.

6. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I buy and sell on ebay, never had any issues. Speaking personally the items I have bought are great and the prices can be quite good, certainly a few of the auctions I started have turned out to be bargains for the eventual purchaser. It is very important to read the descriptions on ebay, i think it is easy for the novice ebayer to end up bidding on 'not working/for parts' items or items from abroad which often take time getting here.

The marketplace here is great, there are a few dedicated individuals that are very active and I have bought and sold some good stuff too.

7. Another_level

Another_level What's a Dremel?

I've heard CeX was good but I can't confirm this personally.

8. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Cex
    I've looked in CEX a lot, when ever I go to town I always stop by to check up on their current hardware stock. Everything is so damn over priced! They don't adjust prices much either. A GTX 260 in CEX = £80, should be more like £40

Ebay
    A lot of people who are not familiar with ebay hear a few bad stories and assume it is bad. Ebay has a lot of options and trusted sellers which you can identify via their feedback. Everyone makes mistakes however, so no matter where you go you risk a bad experience. Ebay is great, you can pick up fansatic deals every so often, you can find parts that is difficult to find else where.. for an example I got myself a HP i5 Notebook with it's own dedicated GPU, 1 year old for £310. The problem with ebay, is that because it is a general market you cannot always get a good deal as people post things that are so expensive or people will bid to silly prices (so more competition on the bargin items).

Forums
    Hardware forums like bittech marketplace is great for picking up second hand hardware at a reasonable price, there is just lower selections and as it is much more fair prices you won't get ripped off or pay more than you should. But, you won't exactly get a mind blowing deal as of course people know what they are on about on a hardware forum. But that is good too, keeps things fair.

9. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

Cex are alright but they're pricey, they had a HD 6870 for £130 used, you can buy one brand new for around or less that price

10. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Ebay is fine, just buy branded parts that are produced by companies that are still in business and theirs a good chance you could still claim on warranty if you had an issue.

Hence lots of people buy "faulty" goods, especially harddrives, very easy to get it replaced under warranty.