1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best surround sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morphine-Kitty, 14 Sep 2007.

1. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

Any suggestions? My friend wants a system that (and I quote), "CAN BLOW MY FACE OFF!".

Hopefully not literally.

So, just wondering what he should be looking into. He likes my setup, which is an 800 watt Samsung surround sound/5 DVD player combo. I'm thinking he wants something with lots of speakers, a really good subwoofer capable of some awesomely heavy bass, its needs to be really tough (hes not gentle with things), and it needs to have a hookup for MP3 player's (which is probably a standalone cable that hooks up through A/V, but an included line would be nice). Any suggestions? His price range is no more then around 600 Canadian dollars.

Any help is appreciated. :)

2. foolfromhell

foolfromhell What's a Dremel?

I have these.

Logitech 5.1

Very good and pretty cheap.

It requires 3 Audio ports for all 5 speakers/ subwoofers, so you need a sound card in 99% of cases.

3. Morphine-Kitty

Well, they look nice, but the problem with the three line in, is that it won't work with an mp3 player. I'm looking for something that will, since that's what he will use it for 99% of the time.

4. dan-ere-07

dan-ere-07 What's a Dremel?

5. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

6. Morphine-Kitty

Thanks for your input everybody!

From what I've seen of all of these suggestions, I think I'll talk to him about pillow's.

Any more ideas are still welcome however. :)

7. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

I have a set of z5500's, they're pretty beast for a set of PC Speakers and do the job for films, games and music also. They're only 505W compared to your 800 so he maybe looking for something a bit more professional. In saying that, these are still pretty top notch and can still rumble any floor boards and be heard a few doors down.

8. Morphine-Kitty

505 watts should be good enough for some serious death metal headbanging. :rock:

9. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

haha, they are indeed. I frequently piss off my neighbours.

I think a Guitar Hero quote is in order here:

"If your neighbours complain about the noise, play louder until they move house"

10. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

if you could find the klipsch promedia 5.1 (http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-gmx-d-5-1.aspx) they may be better than the z5500 or at least rival them. i have the 2.1 klipsch promedia and the 2.1 version of the logitech z5500 and im not sure which is better. the klipsch have greater bass and are louder, but i havent turned the logitechs up to its highest level yet, also i have a decent sound card on my desktop, and im using a macbook/ipod for the logitechs in my dorm room.

11. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

I'm looking for a decent surround setup, too, but I want something with nice, clear mids and highs. I'm less concerned about powerful bass, and would rather have high quality, low power than high power, mid quality. Would the z5500's work for me, too, or is the bass a bit overwhelming?

12. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

im talking about every thing is set for bass, sound options wit sound card or program, bass on the controller turned farther than what most like. so yea the z5500 would work for you.

13. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

Okay, sounds like a deal to me. I always worry, because I've noticed a lot of people prefer a loud system to a good system. And bass has never been important to me, since I listen to mostly ska, swing and jazz. Next paycheck goes to a new widescreen, though, so it'll be a month until I order my speakers, but when I do I'll probably pick up a z5500 from newegg.

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

get an onkyo home theater system from www.onklyousa.com their store also sell refurbish so u can get cheaper price. they are easy i budget. get one of those and their iPod dock and you will have a much better system than those common brand home theater in a box system.

i'd say to go with the most expensve one they have that is still in budget. i have an onkyo receiver and it is :rock: and we dont even have a sub yet :)

15. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

16. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

+1 post count :D

You could've just 'Edit'ed your original post :idea:

17. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

To be honest the z5500d's are brilliant. Can not go wrong with them.

18. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i was on my ps3 and trying to do all that is much harder. i realized that after i posted tho. sorry. :)

19. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

You also +1 your post count so you's can call it even :D. Another vote for the Z5500's but Onkyo is also great :)

20. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

gigaworks 7.1s are good.. just prone to break (but creative will send you new ones)