1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows bf2 and overclocked cpu

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by tamffc, 8 Oct 2005.

1. tamffc

tamffc What's a Dremel?

for a month before bf2 came out i had my amd 64 3000 running at 2.3 ghz.
    it ran prime 95 for hours, all games not a problem.
    but as soon as i started bf2 it locked up on me.
    i had a little play today managed to get it to 230fsb no problems.
    any higher and the same again comp locks up on me.
    this is with a voltage bump to 1.425v.
    any ideas or does bf2 not like overclocks
    i know it loves gpu overclocks.

2. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

you on pci-e or agp

3. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

You got the latest patch for BF2? and latest mobo chipset and gfx drivers?

4. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Apparently BF2 is the best possible system stress for a computer. It is probably due to your RAM underperforming slightly. Don't ask how as I'm no expert but I've heard lots about this problem/tool :)

5. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

In my experiance BF1942 didnt like overclock'd CPU's either

6. tamffc

tamffc What's a Dremel?

its on pci-e,i might try giving it a bit more vcore,im running with a divider so the rams running at 188 mhz should be good up to 217mhz.latest patch,77.77 drivers,i think my chipset drivers and bios are quite old,might be worth a bios flash i suppose.

7. polardog

polardog What's a Dremel?

my 3200 a64 runs bf2 sweet as a nut at 2.4ghz 240*10 2gb or corsair 3200 cl2
    agp 6800gt

8. TMM

TMM Modder

Like I always say, being prime stable doesn't make you 100% stable :) I've had my comp run 24hours prime stable, but it BSOD after half and hour of CS:Source. :duh:

A lock up is most likely CPU or GPU related. If it was memory it would most likely crash the game to the desktop, reboot the computer or BSOD. I'd try more CPU voltage, and/or backing off the GPU overclock a little ;)

9. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Some games just seem to be very sensitive to overclocks; UT2004 and 3DMark01 are other ones that I've seen. As said by TMM, try backing it off a bit or giving it more voltage.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Warcraft III is the most OC-hating game I've ever touched. I swear it has a performance detector and if your CPU was overclocked even 1Hz (not MHz!!!) it would lock up all the time.

Play with the voltages, but you may have to just leave it where it is. Or possibly use Clockgen or something to make different profiles, so to speak, so you can have it at your max OC for most things and then just run the BF2 profile before playing and drop it back down to 230htt or whatever.

Could be ram too. That game loves it, and you could just be exposing a weakness you hadn't found until stretching your ram to its limits. Memtest86'd stable?

11. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

bf2 is like that fat lady that wants everything her way. I can't even run it on my setup, but it's predecessor gives me enough headaches. Even with a decent amount of ram and a nice video card, bf1942 likes to tell me to go to hell at least once per session. Must be something in the genes :)

- serial_

Tags: