1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Bikes and skates

Discussion in 'General' started by Volund, 5 Apr 2009.

1. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Ok, I'm looking for a better way to get around town (and college next year) than just walking, honestly, I'm sick of it. So I'm looking for reccomendations for a new bike and/or a pair of skates.

I have had a Giant Mod3m (like that bike, just older and grey), but it is getting way to small, it's really heavy, and I've had issues with rust.

As for skates, I've let that hobby go by the wayside, I used to skat a lot, but once I outgrew my last pair, I never bothered to get another.

As for what I'm looking for-
    Price- For a bike, under 300 USD For skates, under 250 USD preferably
    Style- not really sure on the bike, I've always liked how the handlebars were on my mod3m, but I've gotten used to my crappy old mountain bike too. I just hate regular road race bikes.
    For the skates, I was looking at freestyle and aggressive style skates, but I wasn't sure if aggressive's were really suited to regular road and sidewalk riding.

I have all the safety equipment and stuff, so I won't need that.

any more info that may help you help me, just ask.... I know this is sorta random...

2. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

with skates, aggressive ones have smaller wheels meaning you have to exert more energy to keep going at a high speed, like on a bmx.
    Ive not been into blading for years so things may be a bit different now, but there used to be recreational frames that would fit onto aggressive skate boots, so you can use bigger wheels with the same style boot.

personally id go for a bike as you can get off them, whereas with skates it gets old fast having to stop and take them off to do almost anything like go into a super market :/

3. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

get a long board. carve to work.

4. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Get a hybrid bike or just put up with a road bike once you get used to it you wont go back.

5. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

http://www.kickbikeamerica.com/citycruiser.aspx

Those things are amazing: brilliant fun and just as good for you as cycling (also they're pavement legal... so you won't get a ticket for using it on the sidewalk)

I had one for a full year using it before it broke (and that included an accident with a bus accident another with a motorbike)

Three things though:
    1. You CAN take the stupid looking basket off.
    2. You can probably get a cheaper one on Ebay.
    3. You might get wads of tourists getting you to stop so they can take your photo.

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I'd go with the skates actually - you won't get a good bike for that amount but you'll probably get some half decent skates - I've been wanting to get back into skating as well.
    And road handlebars are designed to be more comfortable and more ergonomic than a flat bar.

7. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

You might not get a "good" bike, but you'll get a bike that works.

8. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

With a long board if you get tired you can hop on a bus.
    you can take your long board into lectures
    you can long board around campus safely
    if your area is geographically setup for long boarding you can carve to school/work and get the bus back if its uphill/downhill