1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Bioshock Infinite review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 2 Apr 2013.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Sounds like I made a poor choice then, go for GMG ;)

2. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Bought it through CDKEYS.com . Good site, large collection of games.. 2 step verification process, got the key instantly.

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Nice game, but riding those damn skyrails for just slightly too long gave me a bad dose of motion sickness..:((

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I thought it was a cracker of a game, although I think it should always be played in 1999 mode(unless going for screenshots).

The story was quite good, with a rather nice twist at the end, could've done with more player interaction at the end, but I liked it.

I think they did miss a trick or two with the Vox/Founder conflict, especially as I was envisioning a Witcher 2 style lose-lose kind of thing, imagine if you had to choose either the Vox or the Founders to support, both are a bunch of mouldy cheesecakes but I think it would've offered a far deeper look at the conflict that covered much of the second portion of the game.

The AI sucked though. They just seemed to be lining up to get shot, making very little effort to flank or use any interesting tactics at all. The toughest fight in fact was probably one in the Bank prior to entering Comstock House where there was a zerg rush of melee units, cover fire from ranged units and additional pressure from two firemen.

I enjoyed fighting the Handymen. They were very cool, even if I used the same tactic all the time of jumping on a rail, sniping their head , jumping off the rail when they electrocute it and then repeating.

Some of the weapons did seem useless however(I can't think of a single time I use the Vox Heater instead of the normal shotgun or ever used the carbine).

I thought the art style was very nicely done and the port was excellent, performance requirements were very low and the controls were quite easy to understand and use(I did remap melee to F though).

Narrowly beat the Tomb Raider reboot for my favorite game so far this year. Solid 8.5/10 for me. Looking forward to the DLC.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Only just started it, but I quite like it - will need to spend some time on it and explore it properly.

6. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

If you want to play a really well made 1-player FPS that's got a healthy mix of story and gameplay - go buy bioshock infinite! Go buy this game, go buy it, go buy it, run, run, run. GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WALLETS, DEBIT CARDS, PLASTIC $$$$!

7. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Damn you Bit-Tech, I'm now spending money I should be saving for me hols

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

My favorite part of the game is how they planted seemingly illogical statements in the game, just to be understood after you finish the game.

Like the "He doesn't ROW" Lutece says in the boat at the start of the game. On first playthrough, it makes no sense whatsoever, but after you finish the game, you realize it is a constant, same as flipping heads for 122th time.

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

^^ And the bloody fingers

10. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Its a masterpiece eh

11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Brilliant game bought the DLC as well

12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

[At work, posting quickly as on lunch]

From the review: "The more interesting options are conferred in the game’s “Vigorsâ€￾: magical powers that emanate from your hand. These let you summon murderous crows, control enemy robotics or cover massive distances in an instant for an immediate melee hit."

Doesn't this sound exactly like a certain other, apparently rather good game from last year? Any reason to get both?

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Dishonoured is quite different to Bioshock Infinite. Both worth a playthrough.

14. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I am a few hours in and not finding anything wonderful so far. I think the riding between buildings with sky hook is more a gimmick, the taking hits to shield and not seeing where the enemy is shooting from is irritating. It was picked up on at one game site where they were more critical of the combat. The game is very linear... don't step into the water because it's just scenery... don't shoot the vase because it's bullet proof. I'm not saying I dislike the game... I'm just not seeing it with the awe and wonder that others are... I like the darker feel of the original bioshock. This seems more cartoonish and I have a hard time taking the enemies seriously. I hope it gets better but I actually have far more interest in Dishonored (another recent purchase) and I think so far Dishonored is a far better game. I love nice graphics and the graphics are pretty in Infinite but that isn't enough to convince me the game is wonderful thus far....

15. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I do think the skyhook could have had a much larger part in some areas of the game. Even in later combat sections there is only one or two tracks per combat area to jump on and circle around the arena with but I think this might be a limitation of the game being made for consoles and PC. It it was PC exclusive the arenas themselves could be much grander with a ton more to explore and dig through but on the other hand, bioshock infinite isn't trying to be as open as the past bioshock games were, it's a much more focused and presented story than bioshock 1 where it was a much more "set your own pace" game.

I'm not sure what seems cartoonish about bioshock infinite to you though. The game is much brighter, that's one thing, it's not at the bottom of an ocean or some wasteland but that doesn't really make it cartoonish to me. The pompousness of bioshock is still there but in a different form because the people who live in columbia are different than the people who lived in rapture. I actually find bioshock infinite more scary than bioshock 1 or 2 was because it reflects issues that are closer to being human. People of wealth and white skin believing they are above others who don't have either or maybe just one but not the other. Religion being both an inspiration and an excuse to do what people think needs to be done and the social unrest it causes.

I guess there are some funnier moments in bioshock infinite because a large bulk of the game takes place BEFORE the crap hits the fan and things really go downhill unlike the first bioshock which was all post-crap hitting the fan. In that way, it's a bit less serious but I think it still turns out much more grim because you see what these people had, how they enjoyed themselves, spending time on the beach, dancing to music, eating ice-cream and then you see them lose it all and have to start fighting for their lives. I'd like to hear why you think it's cartoony though! Perhaps I missed some things on my playthrough.

16. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I think what bioshock shows that people will like pretty much anything no matter how poor. Bioshock has pretty graphics, a sky hook gimmick and a story that's all over the place. The dialog makes me cringe and I have no interest in pressing "F" to comfort elizabeth. The game is totally linear, the enemies are rather bland, the shield system is annoying and the boss fights are just a confused mess (like the ammo purchasing where every single gun is listed and you have to try and remember the names of the two guns you're carrying so you can buy ammo for them at a vending machine).

I got to the 2nd round of fighting ghosts that mommy was constantly resurrecting and that is where I said that's it. I'm done with this crap. I wiped it.

I can't sell this crud because the key is tied to my steam account. I am actually tempted to sell all 100 games on my steam account just to get rid of bioshock infinite. The only thing that kept me playing it over the last few days was the hope of seeing elizabeth's breasts. The game had nothing else going for it.

This will be the last bioshock game for me.

Tags: Add Tags