1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News "BioShock should have flopped"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Jun 2008.

1. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

/agree with gunny. however SS2 in Bioshock engine (with original game mechanics, not dumbed-down mode) would be win and pant-wettingly scary.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i agree omni

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

The only flaw of Deus Ex is it's too awesome :p

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

The Art Deco environment, and the whole mood of the scenes was the only thing that kept me from putting it away. Unfortunately, as a game it wasn't good enough for me to even bother to finish it. (And I even finished Dreamfall: The longest journey (for the very same reason, really))

5. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

The environments were good, I'll give them that, but the bad guys were far too cartoony. It was an attempt to make them grotesque and disturbing but IMO they missed that mark. Something slightly more human would probably have been better, making use of the "uncanny valley", most of the enemies were too far out the other side to be really creepy.

6. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

The sad thing is, even being that short the game is repetitive after 20 minutes, same as COD1.

7. Lepermessiah

Bioshock like most games today that are hyped, are overrated. it seems everytime a good game comes out IGN and gamespot give them top scores, or even 10`s now.

8. Lepermessiah

Consoles = lower standards.

9. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I enjoyed this game. I bought it on the PC and played it quite a lot, but never finished it. It was slightly repetitive, and there was a serious issue with the mouse response on this game. Saying that... I will buy it again for my PS3 and aim to finish it next time.

It did so well because it was different. The whole theme, the choices, the plasmids, the story etc.... it deserved to do well, even if the management behind the scences was poor.

Roll on Bioshock 2.

10. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Personally I loved the game especially the city and the story, maybe it was just wanting to escape uni work but I found it compelling and loved the whole "would you kindly" twist

Some might call me a heretic but personally i thought Deus Ex was a crock of ****......

But certainly looking forward to Bioshock 2 hopefully see more of the city (loved the art deco styling) along with learning more about it. Id really love the game to be in there when the city turned bad perhaps from the plebs point of view all those people who were used and abused by the powers that be.

11. alexandros1313

alexandros1313 What's a Dremel?

If these were the Middle Ages we would burn you (and your cat). :)

Deus Ex is one of the best games of all time (the best one being UFO: Enemy Unknown of course). I don't have high hopes for Deux Ex 3, because it is nearly impossible to top the original.

12. Kysi

Kysi What's a Dremel?

as far as shooters go you cant really have a game that isnt repetitive....
    i did occasionally find the "go to this place and get that" tasks to be monotonous, but overall i liked the game quite a bit

13. Ryan_Pospichal

Ryan_Pospichal What's a Dremel?

Actually Chaos does spawn Beauty. For example Hiroshima. Bomb+torched earth=Chaos from the Chaos flowers and grass grew.
    Same goes for when people burn prairies, burn a prairie down and in it's place grows a more bountiful prairie.

14. mike_beef

mike_beef What's a Dremel?

Anyone think Bioshock's art deco 40s/50s theme was very similar to Fallout series?

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Not really. Bioshock was forcibly art deco and stylish. Fallout was a load of 50s buildings blown to bits. Occasionally you'd see a gargoyle or something, but that was it.

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It should have flopped because it was bloody awful, in my opinion.

It tried ever so hard to be Fallout and System Shock 2 in a really horribly art deco themed universe. I enjoyed bother Fallout and System Shock 2, but if I wanted to play those games, I'd play those games, not some crappy attempt to recreate them :/

Last edited: 25 Jun 2008
  17. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I liked bioshock especially for the make your good/evil choice, the scenery was great, and added greatly to the mood, i also enjoyed the long lifety of the game. I had almost a week playing time and finished the game. Loved the end and sequenced and such. What i really hated in a while where the water pipe puzzles.

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Polishing a turd does not make it beautiful. It just makes a shiny turd.

Rubbish game that failed as a shooter and was completely pointless as an RPG. Most of the plasmids were useless, there is no strategy to them as you get enough adam or what ever it was called to power them all up anyway and there is only about 5 different enemies.

19. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I loved Bioshock for what it was, a beautifully presented and well-polished FPS with a great storyline. No game has gripped me like it since Half-Life was released.

20. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Also true.. But art deco is almost synonymous with the 20s.. I don't like the fashions which were prevalent in Britain and the US during that time.. looking at pictures of people wearing those awful clothes, in those awfully decorated buildings.. Urgh...

Tags: Add Tags