1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Bit Fenix Prodigy AutoCAD 3D model

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Neogumbercules, 19 Sep 2013.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Hi all. I've begun working on modeling the Bit Fenix Prodigy in AutoCAD 3D. I'm going to use this thread as sort-of a log/motivator to post my progress and keep me from slacking off on it. If anyone wants copies of objects or of the DWGs just let me know.

I'm trying to make it as close to the actual dimensions as possible using a measuring tape and a bit of eye-balling for aspects that I can't accurately measure with the tape. I would say overall it'll end up being accurate within 1/4" - 3/8" or so of the real deal.

I'm not sure yet if I plan on doing the internals yet. I might actually go for it, but we'll see.

I plan on doing a ROG inspired mod to the case, so I'm laying this out for visualization purposes to help me in that endeavor.

So far I've finished the front fascia, which was probably the second hardest part. The handles will be the real challenge since they are very... stylistic. We'll see how that goes...:waah:

For some reason the background color for this render is effecting the color of the outer edge of the fascia. Don't worry, it's black on the actual model, just have to play with the render settings more I guess.

[​IMG]

2. Neogumbercules

I wasn't 100% happy with how the last model turned out so I went back and refined it greatly. I think I've ended up with a much higher quality model of the front fascia now.

Also, I've decided I'm going to try to fully model the interior, but I'm going to greatly simplify the drive cages. I will basically create blocks that take up the space they inhabit to still basically show spacing limitations.

Edit: Looks like I figured out the washed out materials during rendering afterall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Sep 2013
  3. Neogumbercules

OK I still wasn't 100% happy with it. I liked it, I think it was a huge improvement over the original, but I was still missing the detail of the recessed air intake grill that goes along the edge of the front fascia. I've worked a little more on it and have come up with an even better looking model - Stupid custom background is still streaking through the image though:

[​IMG]

Aha! Fixed the streaking issue by toning down the background gradient a bunch:

[​IMG]

4. Neogumbercules

Today I started working on the main body of the chassis. I laid out the basic shape and dimensions and chopped out a hole for the top mounted fan lid. The next step with the chassis is cutting out the side panels and modeling the top fan mounts and front and back panels.

I focused on the top fan lid today. It was a bit arduous as my A6 APU had a hard time handeling all of the geometry once I cut the holes out for the lid, but the effort paid off as it came out pretty damn good!

[​IMG]

And here it is with the front fascia attached:

[​IMG]

5. Neogumbercules

OK So I've done the next phase of this project. I think this had to have been the most detail oriented aspect of the modeling. I decided I wanted to fully model the frame. I simplified it a tad, and I didn't do the fan holes exact but I'm not a crazy person :p

Overall, it's a fairly accurate build of the prodigy frame. Next step is the internals, but I'm USING the case to model the case, so pulling it apart to measure it all out is gonna be time consuming. Maybe get to that tomorrow. I think in the mean time I'll work on the side panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the near finished assembly:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Sep 2013
  6. Neogumbercules

Got the left side panel done. It doesn't have the mechanical detail of the actual panel on the inside, but it's sized correctly and the vent holes are in the right spot, as are the thumbscrews and the little cutout on the back of it.

Can you tell I'm avoiding the handles? :D

[​IMG]

7. Neogumbercules

I didn't do much today, but I did do some refinement of the back fan grille. It's not perfect, I'll probably revisit it sometime but for now I just needed to relax a bit and work on the model so this is what I've accomplished today

Note that the area where the IO plate goes is actually just reflecting the fan grill on the side panel. I have it set to a reflective material, probably a bit of overkill there!

[​IMG]

8. Neogumbercules

I didn't do a lot today, but the... weirdness of the rear fan grille was bugging me so I fixed it. I also tried out a new material on the IO plate cover thingy. Not a big deal but I think I'm gonna go for a less reflective material next time. Nothing special today but figured I'd update so here we are:

[​IMG]

9. Neogumbercules

No new updates today, but my ROG motherboard as been ordered so when/if I ever do get around to ROGging this case up, I'll have the hardware to match the colors!

10. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Looks good! Wouldn't mind a copy to use in max if you decide to share. :)

11. Neogumbercules

Thanka Arch! Yeah once I'm done I'll upload the file. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to wirk on it some more. The more I do, the more my little computer hates me :p Render times are approaching 20 minutes when I have all of the components and lighting in view :0

12. Neogumbercules

Behold! The right side panel is complete. Well, it's rushed a little, will probably get some refinement, but it's pretty much all there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Sep 2013
  13. Neogumbercules

No new updates on the model, but I got my new parts in :rock: The Haswell 4670k renders the model in about 1/3rd the time as my AMD A6. Under the H100i the CPU idles at about 28c and under the load of a render it caps out in the package at 53c. What an improvement!

The next process will be so much smoother with new hardware :D

14. Neogumbercules

Handles done! They aren't peeerfect, but they are damn close. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. RooiDuiwel

RooiDuiwel What's a Dremel?

Hey there, this is looking awesome

Got my Prodigy from release and have been wanting to do so much stuff to it, but having the correct measurements is always such a hassle

I would most certainly love a copy of the files if it isn't going to be too big of a hassle, please

And much appreciated for all the hard work

16. Neogumbercules

Thanks Rooi. My measurements aren't exact but they are really close. I will be working on it more tonight. When I'm done I'll post the files up.

17. Neogumbercules

Hi guys! Been a while since I updated. Real life getting in the way of my superfluous side projects... :grr:

Anyway, I have a rough toss up of the mobo tray in there now. Maybe I'll put the motherboard standoffs in there in the future. For now, this is what I've accomplished! Seems like my last challenge is the drive trays, then it's finished.

Here you go

[​IMG]

18. Hexcry

Hexcry What's a Dremel?

really nice work wish i could use AutoCAD like you XD

19. Neogumbercules

No updates today but I wanted to pop in and let anyone watching know that I haven't abandoned the project. Just been buried under work/RL lately so I haven't had time to do the drive cages. I'll get around to it eventually though, never fear!

I was going to use this as a basis to come up with alternate designs built around this frame, but BitFenix themselves beat me to the punch with the Phenom! The Phenoms are basically redesigns of the Prodigy and Prodigy-M.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2013
  20. Neogumbercules

Thanks Hexcry! Practice makes perfect :thumb: