1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-irc???

Discussion in 'General' started by belier, 22 Oct 2002.

1. belier

belier What's a Dremel?

I've done the search and what-not, and haven't been able to locate one. . . but does bit-tech have an irc server/room anything?

:confused:

2. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

We did have but it proved to be too difficult to manage effectively so it died a natural death.

3. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

bit did have an irc room, and it was a fun place to be, until everyone (unfortunatly including myself) started to take the **** with mp3 scripts, and stat displays. most the time it seemed like everyone was just in there to up there ranking on the stats page, and to see who could get the most spam in.

granted a lot of the time, say mornings, early afternoons, were fun, but in the evenings, there was too many people in with there own scripts etc, and there own varieties of spam, and it just killed the place.

i think in the end the mods just got fed up and closed the place to everyone. especially dougie, as he put a lot of time into making the room what it was, with stat bots etc.

anyway, i really hope we can all learn the error of our ways and hopefully get the irc room back in action.

heres hopeing ;)

4. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

was just about like that, it was too difficult to moderate effectively. There was also trouble caused by some people who clearly didn't recognise a good thing when they saw it and abused the channel. There was also a lot of disagreements etc, some of which spilt onto the forums etc. tbh it was just not an asset, so it was (and still is) closed.

well, some people may have, although from my experiences of irc, for every 1 sensible user there are 10 ****s ready to abuse it. I wouldn't really expect to see an irc room being reimplemented in the forseeable future.

It is also my opinion that it'd have to be a member only room, (with +i) linked to the forum membership, that is probably the only really effective way for us to control the banning/excluding of people... which sadly we had to do too much of during the lifetime of #bit.

5. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

its still a shame. it was pretty much the only irc room that you could go to, and chat away to the early hours of the morning with people you actually like!

i mostly go into cs/ut channels now, and the atmosphere just isnt the same!

i like the idea of being directly linked to forum users tho, but in some cases (one in particular, which i wont mention, but peeps involed will know who), the members showed there true light, and ultimatly almost trashed the irc room and the forums for us.

perhaps not having it back is such a good idea, but we should at least have a good go at bringing it back to how it was b4 all the spam etc.

bit like the forums atm actually. i really hope we dont lose thios place, as it has been a great place to just chat and find help about stuff we are all interested in.

again, my 2p

6. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

There are other channels out there, just look for em. :D

As for the forums, I wouldn't worry. It'd take something pretty drastic before they disappear.

7. monolith

monolith True Friend

I run a small IRC network, and have plenty of people available to manage channels. If BiT staff are interested, we can have irc.bit-tech.net pointed to the right IP and you all can chat/have fun there. Let me know if there is any support please.

Cheers,
    David

PS - As it's my network, we can gline (globally ban) troublesome users from the entire network. Management shouldn't be an issue.

PPS - If you are interested, just create a CNAME with irc.bit-tech.net pointed to irc.orblivion.com. I keep that dns entry updated with a proper IP pool for the network. I'll need some info from the bit-staff in order to give them opers and proper services permissions.

8. Hindaine

Hindaine What's a Dremel?

mono ownz bits bandwidths lol

always fronting bandwidth for bit. Cheers!

9. ChenZen

ChenZen Minimodder

i would truly love to see another #bit becus it was the fastest modding advice service available ANYWHERE.

shame it did close down.

10. [S]huttle

[S]huttle What's a Dremel?

Someone needs to get the channel back up. Wish I had the time to do it or I would :D

11. monolith

monolith True Friend

Well, there is no staff approval, so at this time it's completely unofficial, but if you would like to start joining/etc, use "irc.orblivion.com" and join #bit. I'm in there now, I'll talk to you. ;)

David

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

dunno whether it`ll be approved, but with oper status for some of the staff, it might work out, rather than buggering about working out how to ban them from just a single channel :)

13. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Everyone is quick to moan and slow to use the search function. :)

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?threadid=9575

This has always been around since the closure of #bit, if people don't want to use it then what can we do?

If people say it's dead, then get people in there!! :rolleyes:

14. bradford010

into modding.uk you mean?

15. :: kna ::

16. monolith

monolith True Friend

No offense, but I still don't like the channel name #modding.uk. You can see my replies in the thread. :) Nor do I like Qnet, and the inability to have any kind of control. Anyways, anybody is free to go where they like, so use whatever you will/want, I'm glad to continue running the channel, it just won't be official. Cheers. :)

17. :: kna ::

Well the reason for ditching the channel was that we either had to rule with an iron glove or let people run riot.. either way giving us a bad name.

The problem with having a channel directly related to #bit means that even though the staff are not always directly involved, we get tarred with the same brush if there's trouble etc.

The indepenent channel means that people are free to conduct themselves however they want, but do not end up slurring our reputation. The only reason it didn't take off is that everyone got in a huff that we shut down #bit.

I also don't seem to understand why the name is a problem, it's just a name, it may as well be called Gerald.

18. bradford010

I think Monolith seems to think it's a UK centric channel meaning US users are left out in the cold in terms of coming on at peak activity. Or something. I dunno :sigh:

19. monolith

monolith True Friend

Bradf0rd hit the nail on the head. It would be like showing up to the "Mustang Club" with a Buick LeSabre. You _can_ do it, but it just doesn't feel right. :)

20. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Does a Buick LeSabre EVER feel right? :p

j/k