1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Bit-Tech Folding@Home Team (CLOSED: now superseded by joint CPC/bit-tech team)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Byron C, 2 Aug 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaKind420

DaKind420 What's a Dremel?

Welcome! Were you folding for another team before? The extra people will help with the situation CyberSol pointed out. We've been climbing steadily in the ranks, lets hope we can keep it that way. That A64 should fold pretty well, my 2.2 Ghz A64 outpaces my 2.6 Ghz Barton with ease. Too bad the A64 is in my laptop...

Hopefully I'll be adding a couple of P4 2.4's this week, that might help fend em off. That farm Zidane has going will be nice as well, might be a bit before we see the results from it though...

Last edited: 11 Jan 2005
  2. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

personaly I joined december 22, 2004.
    I have the following computers working for folding@home 24/7:
    3.0 GHz
    800 MHz
    600 MHz
    600 MHz
    600 MHz
    450 MHz
    _______
    soon to be folding 24/7
    1.8 Ghz
    1.5GHz
    450 MHz
    450 MHz

Folding most of the time, but not always
    3.0 GHz
    2.5 GHZ
    1.8 ghz
    ______

so in the near future i will have about 17.55 GHz folding for bit-tech

:thumb:

3. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Wow, it looks like the team is really picking up!

I'm surprised I'm still top 5 with only a 2500+ and an 800 Celeron, both going 24/7!

_C

4. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Not for long though me thinks... DaKind has clocked up 4000+ points in the last 7 days and Cyber isn't far behind with just over 3000.

I've really had to step things up getting every machine I come across on the go :) and I still don't think I'll be safe for long.

@DaKind what exactly have you guys got folding?

Last edited: 14 Jan 2005
  5. TMM

TMM Modder

nope just started :). currently i've got the 2500+ running 24/7 and the 1800+ @ 2ghz about 12 hours a day. I've only got the A64 folding on and off.. (have to stop folding to let it work on other CPU intensive tasks such as video conversion and dvd burning (seems to make coasters if its doing anything else at the time :\) :worried: ) but i've found it to be no faster or no slower then the AthlonXP rigs :/

Last edited: 12 Jan 2005
  6. Blackfish23

Blackfish23 Minimodder

Have just started folding for bit-tech. using my 2.3 XP, will get my A64 3200 working soon too aswell as my other 2600 Barton.
    :thumb:

7. DaKind420

When it rains it pours, another new comer! Welcome to the frey, look forward to seeing you move up the ranks!

I've got a 2.6 Barton, 2.0 TBred, PIII800, PIII600, Palamino 1.4, P4 2.8, P4 1.8, and A64 2.2. Total about 14 Ghz give or take.

I've got a spare Celery 2.2 and an Athlon 1000 that need to be put together to start folding, but I gotta wait and see how much the electricity bill is going to be with all the systems running. I've got 3 of the systems in my room and the temp is about 10 degrees warmer than any other room in the house....

8. DaKind420

F@H effect on system performance

Didn't see this listed in any of the past messages, so I figured I'd post it.

If anyone needs some help convincing that F@H doens't slow down your system (it will shorten the life expectancy a small amount) send them to this link.

http://www.tech-report.com/etc/2002q4/foldingimpact/index.x?pg=1

9. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

Look at our Production history! :thumb: there has been massive improvement! Clicky we are ranked 433, when I joined in december we were at around 450 I think!

10. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Yeah it's great isn't it!

11. DaKind420

I think we were actually even further back somewhere around 472, I'll check when I get home. Would check now but SBC keeps changing my IP on me i no-ip isn't updating for some reason... Fold ON!

12. Blackfish23

Blackfish23 Minimodder

Hey,

Just completed my first WU :clap: . Reading the log file its taking ages to connect ot the server. its eventually connected now. In the graphical version, it says under waiting for core: Large WU startup (30). whats that about? is that it sending the frames??

Just wanted to check,

Okay, its now completed and started a new one, how long does it take before it comes up in the stats pages with me etc?

Last edited: 12 Jan 2005
  13. DaKind420

Usually a couple of hours at most... sometimes longer. If you look back in this thread a couple of pages there is some info on a progam call EMIII you can use to monitor your systems.

14. Vap0K177@r-22.C

Vap0K177@r-22.C What's a Dremel?

is any 1 else finding that if you have large wu's selected it just sticks in a loop of cannot get work from server etc etc yet it will download normal wu's first time?

15. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

K.I.T.T.: see this thread: my cluster i looked at clustering the processors, but F@H isnt made for multithreading like that, it works best running on single machines, and it gave me a chance to try out a grid computing model :)

TM: coolies, welcome to the fold :) your a64 will crunch through units like theres no tommorrow.... if you run 2 clients :) its super-duper-hyper-threading thingamybob means its best used running two clients. as for stopping and starting the clients, yah, some machines just like to be unused when they burn, gimme a shout if its a pita starting/stopping the clients and i'll see if i can come up with a shiny one-click way of starting and stopping multiple clients.

wow guys, looking back to when i first started this thread, we have really made a mark on the folding tables for Bit-Tech. a few months ago it seemed like there was just me a JetSetJimbo folding, and nobody else, now we are taking over other teams and getting a higher rank almost daily! all i can say is great job peeps, for the little bit of work each of us has put in, we have seen such an improvement, makes you proud to be a BT'er. i havent been around much over christmas (im moving, so my cable is off, im on crappy aol dialup, and my brother has been way ill and in hospital awaiting a heart bypass [he is only 25 ffs!]) but it seems like every time i come back and check, we are just getting bigger and stronger. well done guys.

16. Blackfish23

Blackfish23 Minimodder

Am going to leave one of my 2500+ on 24/7. managed to get the Zalman reserator working on it, so its complelty silent, no case fans!! so it won't even be noticed that its on!!

My other 2500 and A64 will be folding about 6 to 10hours a day!

Hope it helps :thumb:

17. DaKind420

Sorry to hear about your bro, hope everything turns out good with that.

On another note: WOO HOO, broke into the 5 digit catagory!!! :rock:

Gonna lose an A64 I had for a couple of days, but I managed to talk my boss into letting me burn all the new systems we get in for clients with F@H, should have a steady 2-3Ghz a week extra from that. We're supposed to be getting a Quad Xeon next month... might have to do an extra long burnin on that one.

We were actually ranked 481 on 12/25. We've gained almost 50 spots since than!! :clap: If we keep that pace up we'll be top 200 in no time... We'll need some extra peeps to keep gaining after that tough.

18. Pballer98c

Pballer98c Minimodder

i started folding during the night and at school the other day. just completed 400frames :) yay! going to be getting a xp2500 so that should help speed things up.
    lata

19. TMM

TMM Modder

A64 doesn't support multitasking, so its easy enough to start and stop it :thumb:

20. DaKind420

Agreed, it has Hypertransport which is different. Hyperthreading doesn't actually give you 2 real cores either and only gives about a 20% boost to running one client, i believe correct me if i'm wrong.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.