Case Mod - In Progress Bladerunner 2049

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dmodz, 12 Jul 2017.

1. dmodz

dmodz Father and son Modding team

Thanks:) Yeah your case is more what i had in mind when thinking about BR cases all black with some neons etc love it, I did think about using the black hose for the cables but then kind of settled on a more abstract unicorn chrome (nod to orac) idea.

5" screen is here today the idea is to use it as a backplate for the GPU as it will be vertical, water one side screen the other. The first film had an awesome focus on the way we advertise in the future with the big screens on the sides of buildings and the new one looks to continue the theme so I thought a screen inside the case with adds on and also to do temps when in use might be cool.

Ps. site still acting up for log in, kyles on the case though:)

2. dmodz

Friday night mod for the boy after his first week back at school. Did the LCD backplate for the GPU on the current mod, should look quite slick when running.

Did a chrome finish on the existing Saphire Backplate then set in the LCD its a 800x480 so displays a nice image for its small 5" size.

This should display the "in film adverts in Blade Runner well for the mod, as well as CAM etc when the pc is actually in use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dmodz

A busy weekend didnt leave much time for modding with kids football but we did find time to finish prepping the chassis and give its primer coat. Dylans spray technique is coming on well, no more runs! Letting the primer harden over night before starting the chrome coats tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Member

For the chrome effect, as per Ron Lee Christianson, is chrome over a silver base. It's not perfect but it does look better than straight chrome. Also there are chromes that you can put over a super slick black that look awesome, but the base has to be perfect, and you still can't clear it, the particles float too easily in solvents.

I've got a couple of experiments that I want to try, one is clear coating with a water based paint. Auto Air has a transparent base coat for blending, basically paint with no pigment, and I wonder since it's water based if it will leave the particles alone or if they still float. Another is Molotow Liquid Chrome, it's usually a paint marker, but you can get the refill and use it in an airbrush. It's got a good look from the vids I've seen. I've got a bottle, just nothing to paint chrome yet.