1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Blank screen after NVIDIA update

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by MrWillyWonka, 18 Nov 2008.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I have a problem and I am at total loss to what to do now. I have spent ages trying to fix this problem. Specs in signature, I have 2 x 8800GTS 512 and running Windows Vista Home Premium.

My previous driver was 175.16 which worked flawlessly (May 2008) and I updated to the current 178.24, installs fine but upon restart I get to the desktop and seconds later I get a blank screen (when the NVIDIA drivers kick in) but Windows loads because I can hear it loading.

This occurs for 175.19 and 178.13 but I need up to date drivers to run Far Cry 2 (or the game prevents me from loading it). I have tried reinstalling the drivers, removing it and using DriverCleaner to remove registry files. I have uninstalled and installed as well as reinstalled. Sugestions online were to keep on reinstalling but I still get the problem.

I have removed hardware, set SLI on and off, run on one card, switch the card to each of the PCI-E slots, switched monitors, switched monitor cables to different DVI ports, switched to VGA (via an adaptor) and no nothing yet when I go to safe mode it works, unstill the drivers and the computer boots with the Windows drivers perfectly fine.

Reinstall 175.16 and I have no problem loading into Windows.

I am at total loss... HELP!

EDIT: Oh and I have put my computer back to stock speeds, tried another monitor, tried a lower resolution before installing and nothing.

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Can't help but am having same issue with these drivers with my 2x 7800GT's SLI'd

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I'm currently using 175.16 but I want to play Far Cry 2! Surely someone has a suggestion?

4. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

I know this idea probably sucks, but maybe your desktop issue will get fixed once Nvidia release a new driver after 178.24?

5. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

I can't see anything about display in the release notes, but check your BIOS version.

Update the chipset drivers.

Clean out the old drivers, reboot, install the latest (once the above is done).

Do you have SP1 installed? and the other updates since?

This isn't an answer, but a suggestion.