1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Blue NXP-301

Discussion in 'Modding' started by -Xp-, 23 Jan 2004.

1. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

I realised I was hit with a problem. I wanted to use a NXP-301 in my upcoming project, to control the fans and cathodes, but the green glow would not fit in with my colour scheme. This meant I had to either
    a) change my theming colour
    b) Get a different controller
    c) Mod it.

Guess what I chose. :dremel:

The green glow is actually produced by blue LED's shining through a piece of green acrylic. This is rather annoying, as I cannot simply swap out the LED's, I shall instead have to make a new piece of plexi.

Due to a lack of a digital camera, there are no 'before' or 'during' shots, but you all know what a NXP-301 looks like ;)

So, 30 seconds with a screwdriver left me with this piece of green acrylix. Now I need an identical piece from clear acrylic.

The stock piece was used as a template.
    [​IMG]

I masked, drew, cut, filed and sanded the new piece, before drilling the holes and the recesses for the knobs.
    I didn't cut out the outside part, as it provides a nice flat glow of light when the acrylic is not sticking through the front.
    I made the little holes for the LEDs as well (was getting a pathetic glow wihtout the holes).
    To finish it off, I sanded the whole piece with some 120 grit paper, to give it a nice diffusion.
    [​IMG]

The back was treated with duct tape, to prevent light from escaping out the back.
    [​IMG]

The plexi I was using was slightly thicker than the stock plexi, so I had to 'move' the screwholes on the PCB ;).
    [​IMG]

There you have it, a nice colour change from a violent green to a subtle blue in under half an hour. All ready to go into my new project.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to finish it off, a video of it 'bopping to da musik'! (300k)

2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Movie link doesn't work (why are there so many people suddently having link/picture problems.....) Anyway, looks awesome :thumb: Trick bit of work for only a half hour.

[EDIT]Never mind about the video being down :blush: you fixed it right after I posted[/EDIT]

3. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

The video reads fine for me in Internet Explorer, but in Mozilla it displays it as text.

EDIT: Ah, you mean that...forgot the syntax ;). You edited after I posted my reply.

4. Abyss

Abyss What's a Dremel?

I think it looks pretty darn good from the outside. I like that smooth, almost creamy(ish) looking blue that the picture captured. Whether it looks like that irl or not, I don't know, but I hope it does. Good work.

5. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Yup, it sure does ;). It looked a bit nasty before I sanded the plexi. Now, the light is properly diffused, and makes it look very nice.

6. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

Blue PCBs make me so happy.

7. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Looks great, gives me an idea.

8. Megadoomer

Megadoomer What's a Dremel?

Quick question...what was used for the flashing lights? is it random or set up to something?

EDIT: i'm dumb...after about 30 seconds of research i found out for myself that the light control is part of the mod...but what does the knob do?

9. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

First off, light control comes with the unit as standard.

The knob is to change the sensitivity of the microphone which picks up the sound, and converts it into flashy lights.

10. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looks good.. :thumb:

11. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

What's the tune?

Lookin' nice btw :)

12. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Jurgen Vries - The Wilderness

Great tune, but not captured very well on the camera's microphone.