1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Blue Steel / ModMyMachine.com Video

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Shoggy, 24 Dec 2005.

1. Shoggy

Shoggy Aqua Computer Staff

A few peoples eyes will start to glare when they have read the title. After several weeks of work our first casemod is finished: Blue Steel

Blue Steel is the first casemod of ModMyMachine.

We packed the whole development in a video and tried to imitate MTV's famous Pimp My Ride - of course with all that "wow"-effects ;)

You don't trust me?

• special effect paintjob on the case
    • 600 fully controllable multi-color LEDs in the front
    • motored flip in and flip out mechanism for the 17" TFT
    • two circuits of watercooling
    • touch-sensitive buttons
    • and more

On our page you can see a few pictures, the system specs and the most interesting thing: you can download the video.

We hope that you enjoy it and pleeeeease don't put us down for our english. We know it is far away from perfect... ;) We also know that the video has a few flaws but we are real amateurs at this; the next time we will do better.

I would like to hear your opinion regardless if good or bad.

[​IMG]

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

very cool. one question though. how does the big LED array work? is it like a winamp plugin or something? more importantly, where can i get one!?!

3. Shoggy

That LED array is self-made. Sebastian did all the ~10.000 soldering points by hand. He also programmed the software and the plugin for winamp.
    The LEDs are able to show normal colored pictures or run videos but we had not enough time to put that into the video :(

I'm pretty sure you can read much more about the LED array in the upcomming worklog :)

Last edited: 25 Dec 2005
  4. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Outstanding. Lots of nice mods on the machine, though I do have a couple of questions - first off, there was no mention of storage in the video, only his external backup drive. Secondly, why would he need SLI on a karaoke machine? Or was that in there just 'cos you could?

Very cool, hope to see more soon!

5. Springs

Springs Boing boing

agreed... dont really need SLI for that sort of system..

6. Shoggy

You are right, he did not really needs two graphic cards. Even a simple 2D card with a few megs would be enough for (t)his job... but we had two cards, so we used them ;)

The systems has four harddisks. 2x 80gig in RAID-0 and 2x 160 (single). I don't really know why they were not mentioned in the video :worried:

Springs, at first we wanted to use two aquapower PSUs but they did not provide enough power for the whole system. These PSUs were build for (older) normal PCs and not power such a modern system with four disks, two graphic cards and a lot of additional electronics.
    Well, we thought two of them would provide enough power but we were wrong.

We kept a aquapower PSU just for the style ;) It also saved us from using too much Y-adapters.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2005
  7. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

will you supply schematics and the code in the worklog? it would come in handy if i get a little (more like a lot) ambitious and try a (smaller) one on my own.

8. Shoggy

Sorry, but we will not supply details which will enable you to rebuild this led array. This should be a unique mod ;)

btw: there is also an other thread for MMM: *click me*

I didn't saw it when I wrote this one. Maybe a mod want to close this thread.

9. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Shoulda skipped all the rest of the video and showed the stuff modders care about me thinks :p

10. Strategy

Strategy Banned

Sounds like someone thats jumping on the bandwagon to be honest. Unless you can provide proof that you say who you are, your just a scammer!

11. Shoggy

*Clicke me* - it's just for you :naughty:

Atomic, Slame will do a special video where he shows the case and features in detail because a lot of people wanted to see more. We know that the current video shows too little but we had not enough time.

12. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

how did u cut the holes for the res's in the metal. I am about to do the same thing and am looking for suggestions.

13. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Tsk tsk.

Such a machine... wasted to the horrors of drunken "Yesterdays" and "Like a Virgin".

Awesome stuff though.