1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Bluescreen issues - Win 7 x64

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Lemmingzappa, 9 Jan 2010.

1. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa New Member

Last night I did a clean install of Win 7 Proffesional 64-bit...

But I keep getting bluescreens at random intervals. First I thought it might be the graphics driver that Windows Update supplied, so I tried installing a driver directly from nVidia's site which hasn't made any difference.

When the OS restarts after the BSOD, it obviously brings up an error report (which i've posted below) and the option to 'Find a Solution' which when clicked doesn't actually do anything.

[​IMG]

The only programs that I have constantly running are:

NOD32 & Steam.

:sigh:

2. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa New Member

Well i've just updated my BIOS on my Asus Crosshair to see if that was a compatibility issue, is this likely to be a problem with Win 7 ?

Last edited: 9 Jan 2010
  3. kristianlee

kristianlee New Member

Which driver does the bluescreen mention? They usually come up with a .sys file which would help you narrow down what's causing it.

If the BSOD's disappearing too quickly, right click on Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings, untick 'Automatically Restart'.

Also if you're still worried about the Graphics Driver, it might be worth using Driver Sweeper to get rid of all traces of the old driver, then reinstalling to the latest version.

4. nightblade628

nightblade628 Member

I wouldn't trust the drivers that Windows 7 "automatically" finds by itself, at least if you download the drivers yourself from the actual manufacturer you know what you're getting. I second getting completely rid of the previous drivers and installing proper ones.

Also, what happens if you go into safe mode? Can you let the PC run in safe mode for a few hours without problems? As safe mode only uses the most basic compatibility drivers and disables all other ones, it's a great way to eliminate bad driver issues.

Also, what does the Event Viewer say about it? Are you using onboard sound or a sound card?

I've heard of a few people who've had this error with Vista and only solved it by reformatting completely and reinstalling, for some reason the initial installation was failing and needed to be redone, but let's try fix this before resorting to that.

5. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa New Member

I haven't had a bluescreen since the BIOS update so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm using onboard sound by the way, and I let Win 7 handle that rather than installing motherboard drivers.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

BSODs in my personal experience (Vista x64 as well as the Win7 x64 RC) are more likely to be caused by hardware faults than software (that doesn't mean they can't be caused by software).

the only way to check for that is elimination:
    Check RAM, check HDD's, check VGA, check CPU.
    by "check" i mean "put load on them for a while, one by one".

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

you should always install the correct drivers for your hardware not let windows guess or use out of date ones. your just asking for problems if you do.

8. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk New Member

I have just fixed one of these, read the minidump. You may need to setup your debugging tools first.

I found this place really helpful.

Was my audio driver throwing a wobbly.