1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Blur Retrospective

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

Sadly online is spoilt by a lack of players, and the majority that do play use trainers.

3. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Waiting for this game to reduce in price to nearer £7.49 and then I'll buy it.

Better still, they should release a demo on Steam.

4. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

I played this at the time and there weren't enough online players then - no idea what it would be like now. I also didn't enjoy the game as much as I did Split/Second

5. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Plays really well at a few LAN parties i have been too. Mainly because anyone can pick it up within 5-10minutes, and its got that perfect LAN atmosphere, where you can stand up and smack talk to people across a room.

6. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

I'm doing the same, it winds me up though,at play.com its £9.99 for xbox360 and ps3 yet £23 for the pc version, and the PC is supposed to be the 'weaker' gaming platform.To me if a game holds its price then it must be doing alright.

7. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Great game but let down by very dodgy multiplayer implementation. Sometimes "open NAT" and all is great but mostly "strict NAT" so couldn't host or join any available games. The forums were full of people complaining about it and nothing I tried could sort it for me.

A real shame as when it did work we had an absolute blast playing it!

8. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

I must admit I passed over this one in favour of Split/Second when it first came out but picked it up for £20 a couple of months later. The single player is tedious by comparison. Where the game does shine however is with three other mates and a case of beer on a nice big screen TV - that is *lots* of fun.

9. v8ninety

v8ninety What's a Dremel?

Picked this up from steam (was not originally available on steam at release although it did have a store page prior to release) just before XMAS for £9.99 in the sales and has provided me with enough enjoyment to cover the price. Haven't played online at all yet but the comments above don't sound encouraging.

10. veato

veato I should be working

I do like it but I feel it's been geared towards multiplayer meaning it's a lonely experience if your friends dont play it. I still think for a tenner on the Xbox it's worth it. Not sure about 20-odd quid on the PC though.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I thought split second was the better of the two?

12. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

I played it on the PC, and the lack of voice or chat support meant you were always racing against faceless opponents. Not much more fun than racing against the computer.
    I just gave up after reaching level 50 offline an 40 online.

13. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I purchased the game for PC when it first came out and I thought it was a pretty decent game. What killed it for me was the online multilayer and plethora of bugs it had. We could never get all the players we wanted in the same game and there is no in game voice or chat function which also made things difficult. Even when most of us did get joined up it was a glitchy experience. I wish it had done a little better because it is a fun game but the devs really need to have a "working" game at release.

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I think both Blur and Split/Second suffered from being released at the same time as each other - neither really differed enough from the other to gain the dominant market share, so neither did spectacularly well.

I wonder how many gamers picked up one of the games and ended up wishing they'd bought the other?

15. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

I bought Blur having been a fan of Bizarre Creation's games since the awesome but buggy Formula 1 on the PlayStation 1 through the brilliant Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast right through to their, IMO, best game, PGR 4. After the disappointment of The Club I wasn't expecting much from Blur but I was quite frankly disappointed.

The single player game was shallow and could easily be completed within six hours at which point there are no more cars to unlock, no new tracks to see and no reason to play it as there is no time trial to add longevity and no progression as the reach the game's level cap. On the PC, the multiplayer might have saved it but the few times I tried it there were very few people playing it (less than 100 in total) and that was a week or so after it had launched. I expected better from Bizarre to be honest as this game was delayed for months and all we got in the end was an average Mario Kart rip-off with PGR vehicles.

16. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I was introduced to this at a LAN event of 40-ish people, and it was competing with Split/Second even there.
    Often there were games of both flavours going on at the same time, but i honestly got more enjoyment from S/S then from Blur. Somehow it felt shallow and uninvolved. The tracks are too wide, the cars uninteresting (in the beginning at least), the destruction not complete enough, and the whole experience felt a bit uninvolved.

17. enciem

enciem Minimodder

I think you can add the fact that it runs like crap for a lot people to the reason it failed. And it didn't release on steam outside of the US until ages after the launch date

18. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I prefer Split/Second too.

It was £9.99 for a few weeks on Steam during the sales.

19. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I bought it in the steam sale and got a good few hours of fun out of single player.

The multi player match making is the worst in the history of gaming.

There are only 40 people on the servers half the time (in the whole world) but even that would be enough for a good game.

Pity that it always puts me in an empty lobby on my own.

Great shame as it was a blast the few times I got a decent race.

20. chelseascum

chelseascum Vanila's my favourite flavour

I have it on 360 and I enjoy it in multiplayer - there's usually enough people online to get some decent races. It's not really a "PC" game though, if that make sense.

Tags: Add Tags