1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bomber project

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Shadowspawn, 6 Jan 2004.

1. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

I've just started on a new project. Its a complete redesign of an existing case, based around the nose art of old bomber aircraft. The case will adopt a US Airforce aircraft look, complete with ducted engine, military style paint (havent decided on the exact color or pattern yet) and of course, the girl on the nose.

This project will encompass the case, keyboard, mouse and monitor, including all cables.

Hmmm, well, pictures are a requirement of any good log, so here are a few to start with.

The original case. Its a plain generic case, nothing special about it, except for the fact that I have two of them, enabling me to swap parts as required.
    [​IMG]

The part that will interest the male audience the most, the girl. She is being used with permission from the author - of course, I'm at work right now and don't have access to my favorites, as soon as I can I will post his site up here.
    [​IMG]

This case will be air cooled, with at least two 120mm fans. I would like to get all four of them in, but haven't figured out exactly where yet.
    [​IMG]

The work that I have completed so far: the front air duct. Air will enter at the bottom of the case and be vented at the top. The duct is mounted and shaped to the unique shape of the front panel, waiting for a bit of bondo and primer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The materials that will be used in this project. I have not worked with any of these items before but am looking forward to learning.
    [​IMG]

If you look closely at that last picture you might see a preview of the changes to be made to all wires that run into the back of this case. I will be completely changing them, right down to how they plug into the case. I think that the connector panel is the ugliest portion of the case and plan to get rid of it completely, leaving only sharp, shiney cables entering into the case. Hmmm, wonder where I got the idea for the design? (Thanks G-gnome)

Also, I plan on redoing the side doors. This case has the standard slide locks at the top and bottom of the doors. They are a pain in the ass and will be going away. I have plans for the doors to open like wings unfolding, revealing the components inside. There will not be window on this case. Betty is much easier on the eyes, don't you think?

Updates coming soon. I will be taking my time with this case, learning as I go.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2004
  2. r3men4nt

r3men4nt What's a Dremel?

Sounds like lots of fun, I was thining of doing a case similar to the one you have planned but i didnt have the funds. oh and good luck!

3. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

I love the concept, and you look like your off to a great start. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

4. Shadowspawn

The artists name is Rion Vernon and his site is www.pinuptoons.com . He's a great guy and very generous with his art, so feel free to ask him, just don't take something as I know of a fellow modder that did just that.

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to getting more work done on it.

5. t.n.

t.n. What's a Dremel?

looking good so far..

I like the front

6. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I'm interested to see where you will be using that image :)

7. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looks good so far.. love your duct on the front so far.. kinda reminds me of my first case back in the day cept wasn't a 120mm was a 92mm but the front of the case was quite simalier to that one. I can't wait to see the progress of this one :clap:

edit: BTW are you at the base in colorado springs? jw.. i have been out there alot.. *cough* ex lived out in that city. you see practice planes every day almost flying around there.. :hip:

8. The Spyder

The Spyder What's a Dremel?

I have 2 of those cases too ;)

9. Shadowspawn

Gnemelf: Yes, I live about 10 minutes north of Peterson. We get rocked by a few low flying ones occasionally. My work is right next to one of the runways so I sit out and watch them touch-and-go all of the time.

The lady will completely fill the side of the case, at least from top to bottom. She will be lit up like the moon is shining behind her.

Wife trapped me into watching a movie with her before I went to work, so all I got done was some spot putty work around the duct. I'll sand it down tonight.

I am stuck about a design idea so I will put it to my fellow modders. I don't know what to do with the panel above the front duct. The area where the drives would normally go. I am relocating the cdrom drive, so this area is completely unused. I was considering putting a small LCD there...small being about 4 or 5 inches tall. The type you see in cars. My coworker suggested maybe making it look like the windowed cockpit of a B-29 as in this picture:
    [​IMG]

Hmmm, perhaps a windowed cover that would open up to reveal the lcd?

10. Bust_A_Cap

Bust_A_Cap What's a Dremel?

Are you goign to make a new faceplate and have it come together like into a point or are you going to just leave it flat? cause if you brought it together in a pint it would look reallllyyy nice and then you could have windows looking into the PC.
    Nice work!!!!

11. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I had totally given up on you ever actually posting a project Log ShadowSpawn.

Looks like a very cool project you have planned.

I have worked with both the primer/filler and the bondo you have the pics so If you need any help feel free to contact me
    Email, AIM, or ICQ.

I like the theme you have going here.

Im getting ready to start my own project log again but Im just having a few problems deciding between two themes.

12. Shadowspawn

Hey Detn8r, looking forward to seeing what you've got up your sleeve.

The faceplace has been filled with spot putty, my cutting on it was close enough that I didnt need any bondo. Its been sanded and is waiting primer, but its sitting to the side while I come up with money for an LCD for the upper portion. I will have some sort of aircraft themed door on the upper portion, but the LCD must come first.

I've turned my attention to the side doors and the beauty that will fill them. The image I have was taken from Rion's site and is only about 4.5 inches tall. I need it to be 14 inches tall. Rion won't give me a larger image (without a $25 donation of course) so I am forced to blow the image up manually. This results in a slightly blurry image, but one that will do for now. I've got two of them, one of them is cut out and ready to be mounted to acrylic once Ive figured out just how she's going to be mounted - to the door pervert!

The next picture that will go up on here is after she is mounted properly! :naughty: