1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Boosting LED signal

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Isotopian, 23 Jan 2005.

1. Isotopian

Isotopian What's a Dremel?

Ok, ive stealthed and re-routed the eject switch and LEDs for my two CD drives, and added blue LEDs to them. one of the drives is older, and i didnt mind soldering off the led in the drive itself. the other is my new Lite-on DVD/CDRW combo drive, and i didnt want to remove the LED. however, i cannot get a blue LED (3.7v) to light up in this drive, but the other one does. how can i boost the signal just a volt or so, to get this led to light? i could use a relay but dont wanna hear damn clicking whenever my drive is going. i think an op-amp is what i want, but how do they work? im not even sure what they are. anyways, if someone can help me out, i'll love them forever.

2. pears0

pears0 What's a Dremel?

The problem is more likly to be that the original LED was a dual colour 1. 1 colour for reading and 1 for writing. So you will needto work out which line dose which. I personally have no idea without looking at how the original LED whilst in place, or at least exactly how it was on place originally, f ucan rember for certain.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

So just what did you do? If you've left the old 2V led in place and soldered a 3.7V blue in parallel it can't light - only 2V available at that point. You need to remove the original led, or cut one of its wires.

4. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

5. Scorpsel

Scorpsel Imaginary Time

This might help, if I understand your problem correctly.

I want to try this myself, but i'm still trying to figure out the inductor-thing he uses.. :worried:

6. Isotopian

Isotopian What's a Dremel?

wow, Cpemma posted... im humbled. Okay so the opto-isolator looks like it ought do the trick, ill hit up radio smack sometime soon then. oh and pears, ive actually already got a rig set up for that, with a blue and red LED on a lightpipe. i dont have a multimeter but im prety sure theres more than 2 volts going through the drive leds, cuz theyre damn bright.

7. pears0

pears0 What's a Dremel?

If there super brights they will b. I got some blue 1's in the front of my case on the on and HDD and I cant look directly at them without been dazeled. There cool. Just a shame there so damb expensive (unless u nick them from uni :rock: )