1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Boosting Power 12v to 24v

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kastman, 4 Aug 2002.

1. kastman

kastman What's a Dremel?

Hello

i wonder if anyone got any good idee how to boost the 12v to 24v and it shouldent cost so much either. Need it for my pump that should run at 12v. Anyone got any idees how to build a power booster??

Thanks
    Robert Kastman

2. Floydian

Floydian What's a Dremel?

I remember seeing that if you use the -12v wire you can make 24volts easy enough, +12v to -12v would make 24volts potential.

3. GreySpaceAlien

GreySpaceAlien What's a Dremel?

I think you would have to be very careful with current however, my psu provides little -12 current compared to my +12.

4. CrazyJester

CrazyJester What's a Dremel?

you can try and build yourself a transformer, probably better to buy one or scavange one... wrap insulated wire around one side of a conducting (preferably square) ring. Then wrap the other side with 2x the loops. as with motor winding, lots and lots and lots of loops of really thin wire work best. input will double or halve depending on what way you do it

5. viridius

viridius What's a Dremel?

Transformers only work with pulsed or alternating current. For a pump, the safest bet would to buy a separate 24 volt power supply and somehow integrate that into the case.

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

You can use a step-up DC-DC regulator (eg UC2577 or LM2577) but, as Viridius says, it may work out cheaper and simpler to build or buy a linear transformer/rectifier/smoothing system running off the mains, with a 317T on the end if you can't get a suitable transformer.

7. CrazyJester

CrazyJester What's a Dremel?

*smacks forehead*

I knew that, I was just testing you guys :D If the mag field doesn't change, no current is induced...

8. viridius

viridius What's a Dremel?

For a high-current consumer such as a pump, I'd think the only real solution would be a separate supply, as semiconductors can only do so much.

9. musirPmeaT

musirPmeaT What's a Dremel?

For low current, use a charge pump/switched capacitor power supply. For high currents, you need a boost DC-DC power supply. I recommend an inductor based PS instead of a transformer/flyback PS...