1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot problem again

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Cereal, 16 Mar 2007.

1. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

Ok, the saga continues, I have now replaced my MOBO and CPU.... I am still having the same problem... My power button prompts no response from any of my hardware... this is really killing me... Does anyone have any more ideas... what should i check next, I still get nothing at all, that stuff is new... I am at a loss. Any and all help or advice is appreciated... Thanks in advance.

2. krimson

krimson What's a Dremel?

ok, so lets recap... you have replaced the Mobo, CPU, and PSU ?

are you now trying with BARE minimals?

i thought my mobo was dead, then i thought my ram was dead, then i thought my PSU was crapping out when my setup was really shady a while back, but it turned out to be a bad stick of ram... (gave me hard drive errors, couldnt install windows (cant read from cd) etc...

SO, try ONE stick of ram, then the other... try them in EACH memory slot.

dont plug in any drives, any ide cables, anything.. no pci cards, nothing but video...
    if you can get a POST, then you add things slowly until it wont boot.

you would be surprised what wierd stuff will make your PC not work... i had all sorts of boot problems the other day until i realized that i had my IDE cables in backwards!!!

if you have any spare parts (or friends) than can lend you a stick of ram or something, try that.

maybe you have a short in your case? make sure you are using motherboard risers... maybe take it out of your case and put it on a table or something.
    dont get stuck on the psu/cpu/mobo.. it literally could be ANYTHING...

3. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

alright, thanks, ill probably just rip everything out and build it up on my desk.. and hopefully i get something... thanks for the advice, I'll post back with any news...

4. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

Well, i think i got it figured out... I pulled everything out and with the power supply i was using same deal... but i got one of my friends old ones and tried it out and i had life! so far i got mobo, cpu, memory, and video card with it still booting up.... so i just ordered a corsair 520w PSU from newegg and it should be here in a day or two... so hopefully this resolves all my problems as now i've had 2 power supplies die on me....

Thanks for the help and hopefully i'll have everything going again soon... This has been a horrible month+ without my computer....