1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband limits :(

Discussion in 'General' started by mikey, 24 Jun 2004.

1. mikey

mikey What's a Dremel?

hi di hi @ll

got bk from uni and pluged in my ADSL, thought i'd check if any other ISP did ADSL for cheaper than mine now...and laughed at all the other ISP's having transfer limits each month....

then a dark thought crossed my mind...HAS MY ISP PUT A MONTHLY TRANSFER LIMIT ON AS WELL!!!???

sadly it seams they hav, am with BT Openworld, and it says theres a 1GB transfer limit a month :(

Anyone know any broadband ISP, which dont have a limit? I think its rediculous to have a limit on a connection your paying extra for to surf more!! Okay on the 56k services, but ur payin a lot more to get the faster connection which u now hav to limit ur usage !

ur views, and reply ??

2. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

Im with BT as well and ive easily used my gig limit this month. I want to change the isp but isnt there a 12month contract thing?

3. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

isn't the limit just for the £19.99 a month package?

4. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

telewest is truly unimeted.

i can say that this si a definet thing for the 1.5mb and 3mb service.

the only niggle i have is the 256k upload. i think for the 3mb service the upload should atleast be 1mb. or it shoudl be proprtional. like the 1mb service used to be 1mb down 256 up. so for the 3mb it shoudl be 1 up 3 down

and 512 down 128 up. ect you see my point but hey. im happy with the service.

5. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

Well I've been with Demon for ages now, dial up and BB, and despite some of the bad press they have had I have not had any problems with them.

They are\however not the cheapest around, my 512 costs me £27.99 per month. But I'm willing to pay that because of the quirk that has left me the only person in my imediate area with ADSL (everybody else has NTL). So I get the best connection ratio all the time :rock:

6. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

Last edited: 23 Apr 2016
  7. mikey

mikey What's a Dremel?

do u mean everyone else on NTL cable? cuz doesnt matter who ur ISP is when it comes down to area ratios as all broadband ISP's use the same BT lines meaning the ratio is unaffected by ISP...

i heard deomen r really bad at dropping pings?

what kinda prices r we looking at for that telewest service?

yea you have to be part of 12month contract b4 u can leave..but i've had ADSL since day it was released so am well ova my 12months lol

erm...not sure if thats only the 19.99 package i think i pay more (or used to unless they have lowered the prices)...i'll look into that... the strange thing is i had to go to the website and look at the packages to find out about the limit, i neva recieved a email telling of the change or service, so maybe ur rite and its only people payin the £19.99 ..hhmmm intereting

8. Darv

Darv Bling!!

NTL is cable not ADSL so AFAIK it's got nothign to do with BT. I've certainly had NTL a lot longer than BT have been offering broadband here.

And limits on any broadband service are completely unreasonable. You don't pay exta for the speed if you can't use it as much. I could easily go through 1GB of data in a couple of days if I was downloading linux iso's etc.

Thankfully NTL doesn't have a limit. Or at least they haven't complained yet :worried:

9. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

NTL cable has a 1gb limit. However from what I've understood, these are "soft limits" ie, if you are downloading HUGE amounts of data, or attempting to run a small webhosting company from your house they would complian. But, as long as the net isnt constantly dwonloading at full pelt most dont seem to mind.
    10-15 gb a month i doubt they'd have a massive issue with, m8's have used much more than this and not had any issues.
    If you do get a letter or they contact you, just threaten to terminate the contract, that should keep them off your backs. :thumb: :p

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Pipex is unlimited afaik

How do you check if your service has limits?

12. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

13. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

im with pipex 512 23.44 a month. No bandwidth limit and a v good connection

14. Jedi

Jedi What's a Dremel?

shared a 1mb connection at uni this last year with 4 of us using it, we would have gone waaaaaay over a gig a day, most likely 3-4gb a day but never had any problems from ntl

15. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

16. ThrrrpT

ThrrrpT What's a Dremel?

one of my mates here in nz currently has a 2mbit connection with no transfer limits. I myself have a 256k connection with no limit however if i go over 10Gb my isp has the right to drop the speed to 64k.

17. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

Been with AOL for a month and a bit now, please before you all go off your head at me its actually better then most say it is, no peak time ive found yet, no bandwidth limit, free webcam, and the dreaded software. gotta love it. :thumb:

18. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

trust me pipex has no limits.Bindibadgi have a look at this and see what service you've got.i think you've got solo 500 like me and there's defo no limits on that.

Pipex are very good.never had any problems bar 10mins without email but they posted a note on their site and 10mins later all was well.

19. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

I used just Bt broadband.. not BT openworld.

£20 something a month. I hope it's not got a GB limit.... I used 3GB in the last 2 days...

20. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Seconded, Nildram rule.