1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Broadband over power starting to kick off

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 16 Aug 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Ahem...Wil? :) Spot the whoopsies. It's right after the title. :) As in, that "by Wil Harris" part. ;)

Last edited: 16 Aug 2005
  3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Sod amateur radio hams. I want some of this. Sure I live in a city and can have regular plain ol' DSL, but with this, I could cut off my phone line and stop handing over £10.50 a month to BT for a service I don't use. Heck, I could run a VOIP line over the top if I wanted to.

$25 a month! I guess they can afford to if no additional infrastructure is required. That's like £14. For a 4meg line. As opposed to about £30 for a 2GB capped 1meg line at the moment (that's including the BT line rental).

4. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

"know there's three major ways" is the same as saying "there is ways to connect"

P.S. Not that I would want to say something about your english... Just trying to fix the mistakes.

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

No kidding. When I was researching this, I was amazed...they're getting cheaper, better internet out in the sticks, whereas I'm paying almost $50/mo for a 4mb line. Which really, really sucks. Of course, not as bad as having it capped at 2gb.

And I like my wording just fine, cheap. :D Who needs to be grammatically correct, anyways? :) Think of it as "There be's..."(Wil, change that to "there are" since I'm an idiot and you didn't catch it either :p )

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Well, it's only capped at 2gb because I only need that much, so I only pay £18 a month. For £28 (around the $50 you pay) a month I could probably get a 4 or 8 meg uncapped line.

My £30 includes an unavoidable £10 line rental charge to the phone company. Which sucks because I make about 2 calls a month and the only people that call my home line are out to sell stuff. I have a line at work and a mobile. Why would I need a home phone?

7. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

The thing I REALLY like about this is no more worrying about where the jacks are in your house. No cable, no phone...just plug the modem in somewhere. Any room becomes an internet terminal. And we all have to have power, anyways. So we lose the need to have unnecessary services just to have internet.

8. Cheap Mod Wannabe

We're paying $50 for 2.2-4.2 MB line. Upload speed is terrible though =\

"And I like my wording just fine, cheap."

I referred to mistake in the article... and I think you did not write the article.

Also powerfull wireless will catchup pretty fast so we will be considering in few years if we should spend money to get internet over powerlines, or wireless...

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hehe...sorry, cheap, I did write it (see post 2)...wil put the wrong name up there and went offline before I could catch it. I'm sure it'll end up fixed shortly. ;)

I see what you mean about the wireless thing, but do you think that will get to be stable enough? I think wireless may be a bit flaky to be the "always on", unless they perfect it...it also isn't as secure.

10. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Oh damn I though you were referring to his name misspelling, I tough he was Will Harris...

Dumbass like always LOL *goes electreecutes himself with 4mbs power line*

11. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hehe...is ok, article is fixed now, so that should reduce confusion. ;) grammar issue should be ok now, too.

*acts like Roto and smacks thread back on topic now* ;)

12. Cheap Mod Wannabe

How does this technology work though? They will have hubs in powerstations or something?

[OFT] ":hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
    And my secretary is looking at me funny now, wondering why I just burst out laughing..."

Oh my gosh, she has a crush on you.... HOW KUWTE :blush: !!!111!!!

If you would have internet over powerlines now, you could ask her to plug the cable in... Low poweroutlet + short skirt = Da Dego sitting in a tree..." [OFT]

13. MonkeyCircus

MonkeyCircus What's a Dremel?

This technology has exsisted in some form for over a decade. It used to be used on the internal power systems in a home to network PC's without having to run coaxial cable around the place. However, I believe these where infact baned, at least in the UK, because if you live near a factory it can interfere with multi-phase motors in large industrial equiptment (high-power motors that use all 3 phases of the AC supply, rather than just 1 like most motors/appliances).

Edit:
    at modderwannabe guy - Not sure about this, but the older network interface used to disguise it's radio signal within the widely unused 2 phases of the AC power supply, (an AC power supply has 3 dimensions through which a signal is pased - as a 'power supply' is just an electrical signal appliances usually only use 1 of the phases, so a computer can disguise it's network signal around this using hte other two phases). Industrial motors use all 3 phases timed so that the electromagnets in the motor can apply more force to the axel of the motor (3 pairs of electro magnets rather than 1 pair of electromagnets). I imagine the power company just tap off the 2nd phase of the power supply at there end and take that as your upload, and send your download to you in the 3rd phase.

14. microtech48

microtech48 What's a Dremel?

Broadband over power lines

I hope it comes here soon I see Verizon has Broadband for Business over cell towers in seattle and coverind Arlington wa area for labtops But but cost $ 79.00 Mo pretty high for most of us anyway you can buy a card for home PC to work with it I have been think about getting it I only a block from Verizon Tower

15. dom_

dom_ --->

bit lost in your post but you can buy these home networks (dlan) for the uk market.

16. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I really like the idea of using plug sockets to connect to the internet, I guess it's mean no more trailing ethernet cables all over the house as every room will already be wired up, and the price/speed ratio looks fantastic, although you know if it makes it to the UK then we'll be ripped off as per usual . . .

I was reading about a similiar technology a few years back in new scientist (i think) and they stopped it althoghether due to it interfering with the Ac quite badly, is that still the case or was it something totally different?

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Now why am I getting a feeling of deja vu? Broadband over power... hmmm.. where've I heard that before. Oh yeah.... probably because there have been "trials" of this service twice already in the UK, and nothing ever comes of it.

Forgive me if I don't get excited, but nothing will probably come of it again.

18. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

Bit-Tech Ghetto Broadband Over Ethernet.....

[​IMG]

Last one to the patent office is a rotten egg!

<Geek>
    every time i see this picture i shudder.... someone, somewhere, will plug something like this in and then ask why their pc is not working..... and blame it on a virus.
    </Geek>

19. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

I can remember Scottish Power doing trials of it up here and I think they ended up ditching it and switching over to a regular ISP simply because it was so rubbish. I say we all just demand to have fibre right to our doors :hehe:

20. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

damn you zidane i was just about to use the etherkiller thing!.....it was the first thing i thought of when the caption under the article said "add a power plug to these" i just thought, "hmmmm.......i think that ones already been done"

[​IMG]

So if i add a power plug to these (above) then i get this (below)....ok then

[​IMG]

*rummages through junk boxes for parts to construct BPL cble* *evil laugh* i will have BPL and all of you will be in the dark ages! *plugs into power socket and is just about to plug it into his comp when*......Hey! you guys tried to trick me! you guys suck (j/k) screw you guys i'm going home! *realises hes already at home* awww screw it you know what i mean.....

sorry i know it had already been posted but i had too

Last edited: 17 Aug 2005
Tags: Add Tags