News Broadband prices to hold steady

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by acrimonious, 8 Feb 2004.

1. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

"The days of broadband bargains could be over, a study of the cost of high-speed net access suggests.
    A survey of broadband prices across the world by industry analysts Point Topic shows that costs have fallen over the past three years.

But it found that prices have stabilised and there are unlikely to be further cuts in the near future. "

Full story from the BBC: here

2. ajack

ajack rox

Damn it we get really crap deals here compared to some places in the world

3. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

Think yourself lucky - our idea of 'broadband' in new zealand is 256k, and its something like 100nz dollars a month with a 2gb cap. Keep in mind that a standard litre of milk is $1.70 and a loaf of top quality bread is around $3.00.

A big mac is around $4....

i cant think of any other comparision :)

Standard dsl here is 128k, with a 36ms interleave, 5gb a month international cap.

4. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

this sucks, BB should come down, im taking it im not the only person here thats feelin conned

we pay 27 odd for BT broadband right?, well in japan we could get 100mbit (both ways) for the same or less, thats 200 times the speed, for LESS, also u get 400 times the upload, for LESS

its because BT monopolisies the BB and 56k world mainly and they wont come in line with other countires as they know they dont have to, they know where dumb, and we will pay it

5. Anarchi

Anarchi What's a Dremel?

It's not so much a case of being dumb, more 'pay this or go without'... which sucks.
    They need some competition to kick their proverbials in to line.

6. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I'm quite happy with mine. 512 for £23 a month. Solid connection. Only once a downtime, and that was when the exchange got knocked out. Can't argue with that. For the amount of use I get out of it, it's brilliant value compared with paying £40 a month to watch whatever you want on Sky.

7. Mnet_Gaming

Mnet_Gaming What's a Dremel?

NTL messed up here, i'm getting it free :naughty:

8. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

$50 US a month get me a modem, an IP, and 3.4 meg down (tested average by me) and 256K up

9. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

The government are finally getting the watchdogs onto BTs asses this year, looking into their monopoly in the UK, so i wouldnt be surprised to see prices falling to more reasonable levels in the next few years.
    I cant really complain - my father works from home using a 1mb connection thru a cisco server to his work place in london. After he goes to bed at nite i have free reign....
    But something does have to be done in the UK - not only with internet charges, but with terrestrial and mobile phone charges as well. Plus, look at all the 118 numbers that are springing up since the service went public. Telecoms in the UK need to get their act together....

10. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

I think part of the problem is that BT spent sooooo much on the G3 license 3 / 4 years ago that they are still massivly in debt (i think its even being counted in billions not millions) so they dont want to lower costs for consumers or the ISP's renting lines so they can slowly claw their way back. added to the fact the way they operate, its not exactly the most cost effective option, theyre using archaic practices and partly because of their reluctant corperate mentality, partly cus they dont have the money (due to their debts again) they dont invest in the faster and more advanced technologies meaning we'll always be behind countries like japan and even european neighbours like sweden. it sux tbh, we need alternatvie telecoms providers like the gas companies.

/rant

11. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

I get my 2mb Connection for £37 a month and to me thats pretty gd compared to other isp's. Go to www.fast24.net there prices are excellent and the speeds are gr8 :clap:

12. DaveT

DaveT What's a Dremel?

That's nothing... here in Portugal at best we get a 512/128 connection with a 2GB international cap for 37 euros a month. 2GB!! We can top that in a single day! They offer 4GB cap for 45 euros/month. Every 100MB additional is 1,5 euros.
    Plus we don't have alternative as the main provider also holds the distribution lines. So far 4 ADSL companies have given up accepting customers because the main provider sells the same product for the same price or less ...
    Yep... it's Portugal in Europe... although it could be in central Africa that no one would notice...

13. sherbhachu

sherbhachu What's a Dremel?

well, its actually all down to BT at the end of the day because they sell the 'service' to the dsl distributors (i.e. pipex, etc).

it used to be sold to distributors at £20, now its £15, as soon as prices come down for 1mbit and 2mbit connections im sure we will see BT selling the 'service' at a lower price........but as mentioned, i don't think it will happen anythime soon

14. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

BTYAHOO/BROADBAND aren't allowed to lower their prices apparetnly because other ISPs *coughFreeservecough* will complain to Ofcom that BT are being anti-competitive despite the fact that BT would only be lowering their prices to the level of Freeserve's.

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Another vote here for fast24, I'm on the 1meg connection £27/month, good for UK prices.

16. Crankster

Crankster What's a Dremel?

10 mbit fiber 15 £
    Sweden 4 ever

17. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

WOW! That is some internet line man. I have 1024 kB down and 256 up for about 25 euros

18. djgizmo

djgizmo 1337 pimp

I know a guys who gets 10 meg connection for 10€ a month. It's preinstalled for the whole building. Anyone that wants it just pays an extra 10€ a month with the rent... Then there's other guys that get a 100meg connection for 40€ a month.
    Just a thought though: aside from saving money on your broadband bills, what's the advantage? I have 2 machines hooked up to a 512k connection and we both get pings of under 30 when we play on the same fast servers. It's smooth as silk. So for gaming, you don't need that kind of speed. You only need it for hosting the server.
    I only have a 512k connection, and yet i've managed to fill both my hard disks up completely. nearly 300 gigs of unnecessary downloads cluttering up my disk. So how will i be able to utilize the extra 9.5 mbits/sec, unless i plan on running a server?

Last edited: 10 Feb 2004
  19. Crankster

Crankster What's a Dremel?

In fact i do have servers in my appartment + when you need something fast it´s so easy to get it, 8 minutes downloading XP 64-bit beta. I have an FTP-server aswell for friends. The nice thing about fiber is that the speed never drops, seems like the pipe is never under load. No cap either :D
    Getting 100 mbit fiber in a month or so though :D

Tags: Add Tags