1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Broken Motherboard? - Or something else?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by joedpwd, 1 Jun 2010.

1. joedpwd

joedpwd What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure what's wrong on my motherboard or even if it is my motherboard. I'm currently half way building my machine and about a week ago when the 4 pin cpu plug is in its correct socket the motherboard cuts out after half a second. But the board works fine when its not in, except for the fact my Cpu's on. I'm not sure if it's my power supply or the Motherboard.

Motherboard - MSI 770-C45

400W Corsair Power Supply

MSI have said to clear CMOS on the Bios but I can't get to it as it's not fully built. They also said to preferably use a different power supply. I'm not sure what they're saying as it sounds they're making me go through all solutions. The Power Supply is new of course also. What would you do if I was in my situation because I really don't know what to do or what the problem is. :sigh:

Edit Update - It was infact my motherboard as i went to the tech guys at pc world to help. Now my cpu might be broke and its really annoyed me.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2010
  2. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

What CPU, GPU, HDD's are you running off your 400W power supply. It could simply be that 400W isn't enough, and plugging in that last 4pin power cable is sending it over the top and causing the PSU to shut down.

So yeh, specs are needed I think.

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

if its only happening when you plug the 4pin connector in than its is likely only 1 of 2 issues.

1. faulty PSU not ouputting the correct voltage on the 4-pin.
    2. faulty mobo with a dodgy 4-pin connector.

you need to try another PSU if it does the same thing its the mobo not the PSU

4. joedpwd

joedpwd What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply. All I need is another PSU to find out. The thing is it did work for a while but it doesn't now.

5. shadows

shadows What's a Dremel?

In clearing the CMOS, have you tried removing the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes? This usually clears the CMOS.

6. joedpwd

joedpwd What's a Dremel?

Yeah I tried yet it didn't work. Don't you mean power supply

7. Akuman

Akuman Waffles

Nah he means the CMOS battery
    [​IMG]

If it is indeed your board like the tech guys say it is, I'd get started on the return procedure asap. Don't know when and where you ordered it from but some retailers have an expiry date for returning faulty products to them rather than the manufacturer, which takes a hell lot longer in my experience.