1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Broken WII DVD Drive - HELP!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by madmodder, 8 Jul 2007.

1. madmodder

madmodder What's a Dremel?

On fitting a replacement case on my Wii a small piece of white plastic dropped out of the DVD drive and I can't find out for the life of me where it goes!!

I put the Wii back together to test it and it accepts a DVD but I get a disc read error.

[​IMG]

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

3. 2001team

2001team What's a Dremel?

madmodder,

I had the same problem when putting a wii key in my system. That piece in the picture is actually holds the ribbon cable that the following link shows: http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/12/drive_screws_engadget_howto.jpg . See that ribbon cable on the top half of the picture, the one on top of the metal cover? Now take out the screws holding the metal cover in and underneath it , you'll see that the cable goes into the bottom of the DVD drive. On that piece in the picture is a cave in where it looks like that cable could fit quite snug. With the concavity facing towards the laser, slip it into that skinny area between the dvd drive and the Gamecube control port and it should I believe snap in. As for the disc read error, take out the DVD drive and check to make sure the cables are all plugged in as these have a high tenancy to dislodge. If that doesnt' work, make sure all the levers on the disc housing are in their proper place and if that doesn't help, clean the laser with 70% rubbing alcohlol using a q-tip, rubbing in circles. Do one wet and right away, do one dry and do it for 10 seconds or so. I hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.