1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Browser Configuration Utility"

Discussion in 'ASUS' started by fluxtatic, 30 Sep 2011.

1. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

A week ago, I got a M5A97 EVO to replace my M4A78 PLUS that died unexpectedly (USB over-current and my mobo is dead? What kind of crap is that?)

Anyway, I performed some surgery on my box, swapping out the motherboards and cleaning up some cable routing, etc. After installing Windows, I rebooted and started installing the software off the CD. Skipping the InstAll option (sorry, Norton does not get on my PC ever) I installed what I needed and saw a curiously titled "Browser Configuration Utility" entry. Since there was no sort of explanation as to what it was, I fired up the installer, figuring something might explain it. Nope. Still curious, I went through with the installation. Once done, I closed down the window and got back to the desktop, where there was a new icon, "Social Games". I double-clicked it, and got momentarily distracted by something else. Turning back, I was confused, as IE had opened a page I hadn't navigated to. I closed the window, and thinking maybe I hadn't quite double-clicked this mysterious icon, I tried it again. In horror, I watched the same window open, full of shortcuts to Zynga games!

For shame, Asus! If you want to put crap software on your support CDs, by all means. But at least tell me WTF you're installing before I install it. And Zynga? The only other game company I want less to do with is UbiSoft, although for different reasons.

I love Asus, I really do - I've had a total of 2 non-Asus boards since I started building computers (a ratio of 8:2, give or take), I have an Asus video card, monitor, case...but this licks balls. Seriously.

Meanwhile, hire me cheap to fix your translations! For the love of god, you're so close, and yet sometimes there is a nugget of pure Engrish that would be hilarious if it wasn't something I needed to understand clearly.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Engrish stuff shouldn't get through: where did you spot it?

As for the "Browser Configuration Utility" I don't know why we still include that, I'll be sure to pass on the complaint! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Oct 2011
  3. dibengineering

dibengineering What's a Dremel?

fluxtatic

glad you mentioned this as I have just upgrade from one great ASUS mobo to a new one and was also dissappointed to find something I didn't want or ask for on my desktop, worse still they trick you in to install it by calling it a configuration utility "NO it's not it's a crap games link, Duh!"

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Don't you guys just always choose "custom" install on every piece of software anyway? :p