1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browsing Issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Wench, 3 Jun 2008.

1. Wench

Wench BINGOBONGO!

Hey guys, wondering if you could help me out here: Past week my internet browsers (IE and Mozilla) have been extremely slow generally and especially with buffering videos of youtube and other such places. First of all i'll put this out here:
    1.Cleared cookies
    2.Cleared temp internet files
    3.Numerous spyware scans
    4.Numerous pathetic attempts by AVG to detect some viruses

I use the computer that is connected to the router, and the laptop, which is wireless, has also been experiencing the same problems. I have run speed tests from www.speedtest.net and my internet is running at the correct speed of ~550kbps down and 350kbps up. I have called my ISP, and they haven't been able to help whatsoever. I attempted to download spybot S&D, however gave up when i started downloading at an incredible 3kbps. If I could have some feedback on:

1.What the problem is
    2.How to fix it

Much love

2. superseagull

superseagull If it aint broke, fix it ;-)

hi there - which adsl or cable service do you use and what was the ping value on speedtest.net?

also, have you made any other changes to your computers or modem/router? some programs that claim to enhance system performance can alter your tcp/ip settings such as the mtu which can cause loss of packet data, crippling online performance.

for now, assuming that you have already reset all of your equipment, i would try repairing the network connections which would flush dns cache etc and making sure that your mtu settings match the recommended value set by your internet service provider. eg: 1450, 1468, 1500 etc.

tcp optimizer is a free utility which should help you check and adjust as necessary.

best of luck ;-)

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

If you're on Virgin, you'll need to switch your modem off (unplug from the wall really) for 30 seconds, then switch it back on.

Something happened on their end last week, and myself and all my friends on VM have had like 30kb/sec down speeds. Rebooting the modems fixed it (after waiting a few days :()

4. thebestnews

thebestnews What's a Dremel?

Hello. I work for a Broadband affiliated tech desk called the Home IT Advisor Desk (a bit of a mouthfull, but easy when your've said it on about a million calls). You may be getting what is known as a PPE line fault (if you have a ADSL that is). I can't remember what is stands for but basically you get slow downloads/webpages even though the line rate and noise show normal. There a few way they can be fixed:

1). Reset your router (not restart, but actually reset. Check your manual)
    2). Use for following test details to connect for 30 seconds each and then use your original one. Password line should remain blank:
    a). bt_test@startup_domain
    b). bt_test_user@ISP.com (replace "ISP.com" with your provider eg "btbroadband.com".
    3). Phone your ISP and ask them to do a "session kill" on your line
    4). Find out if you are being fup'ed (downloading too much on a restricted download service)
    5). Report a fault to your ISP, be insistent, get through to a manager and get them to book an appropriate fault, not just a general one
    6). Write in a letter of complaint and wait for your free months service :)

Hope this helps!

5. Shade

Shade What's a Dremel?

"thebestnews" is correct (I have also worked for HITA) but you also need to make sure that while you are running those speed tests on your computer to make sure that all other computers connected to that router are not switched on. They could also be using bandwidth whilst you are doing your test, so to make the test accurate you will need make sure that you do the speed test on the computer that you have cleared from any virusses and spyware with all other machines on the netword switched off.